Dell sent me a refurbished hard drive

The hard drive on my recently purchased Inspiron 5100 went bad. The
warrantee covers the hard drive, but one they sent me is "refurbished" (says
so on the package seal). I am concerned that this one will not last either.
Should I be concerned?
6 answers Last reply
More about dell refurbished hard drive

    I had one of the infamous IBM drives go out in my Dell 4100. Dell
    sent me a refurbished one and it has been working 24/7 for a couple of
    years. I was a little concerned too, but now I'm happy.

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:08:14 GMT, "MissLivvy was:Curly"
    <XeveryidiwantistakenX@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The hard drive on my recently purchased Inspiron 5100 went bad. The
    >warrantee covers the hard drive, but one they sent me is "refurbished" (says
    >so on the package seal). I am concerned that this one will not last either.
    >Should I be concerned?

    Not really.
    Your was used and there is nothing in the warranty that suggests
    replacements will be new.
    That is standard practice industry wide and beyond.
    Run a thorough diagnostic if you want to be sure.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

    "MissLivvy was:Curly" <XeveryidiwantistakenX@yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:21Sxc.180$Wr.67@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > The hard drive on my recently purchased Inspiron 5100 went bad. The
    > warrantee covers the hard drive, but one they sent me is
    "refurbished" (says
    > so on the package seal). I am concerned that this one will not last
    either.
    > Should I be concerned?

    All drives they ship out as replacements are labeled "refurbished" - they
    are almost always brand new.
    Very few companies do hard drive repair any longer - they're replaced.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > All drives they ship out as replacements are labeled "refurbished" - they
    > are almost always brand new.
    > Very few companies do hard drive repair any longer - they're replaced.

    <snip>

    For various Dells, I've received hard disks, optical drives, and even a
    sound card replacement all with boxes marked "refurbished" as per Dell's
    policy. While I can't be sure about the sound card, all of the drives were
    new.

    Stew

    Here's my guess: Under Dell's warranty, they are permitted to substitute
    refurbished parts. If people knew they sometimes use new parts, everyone
    would clamor for them. So everything is marked 'refurbished.'

    Rocky

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > All drives they ship out as replacements are labeled "refurbished" -
    they
    > > are almost always brand new.
    > > Very few companies do hard drive repair any longer - they're replaced.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > For various Dells, I've received hard disks, optical drives, and even a
    > sound card replacement all with boxes marked "refurbished" as per Dell's
    > policy. While I can't be sure about the sound card, all of the drives
    were
    > new.
    >

    > Stew

    "MissLivvy was:Curly" <XeveryidiwantistakenX@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The hard drive on my recently purchased Inspiron 5100 went bad. The
    > warrantee covers the hard drive, but one they sent me is "refurbished"
    (says
    > so on the package seal). I am concerned that this one will not last
    either.
    > Should I be concerned?

    If the refurb fails within the warranty period, it too will be replaced.
    What is the problem?

Dell Hard Drives Inspiron Computers