USB Won't Work After Win 7 Intall

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelarster

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I had Windows XP SP3 installed on this home made desktop and everything worked fine. I formatted the drive to install Windows 7 Home Premium.

1-I had issues installing, it kept getting stuck after the install at the "Starting Windows" screen so I disabled USB in the bios.

-Now everything works great but when I re-enable USB it freezes in the same place.

-Taken out RAM and tried different sticks.
-Tried disabling the floppy and other drives
-Updated the bios

Any other ideas?

ABit KX7-333 Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.67 Ghz (I actually think that this is an XP 2300 or 2600 chip, that the motherboard is just running like a XP 2000+ chip)

All-In-Wonder 9600 TV Tuner and Graphics Card

1.75 GB PC 2700 RAM (4-DIMMs)
Plextor DVDr Drive
Linksys Internal Gigabit Ethernet
60GB Primary Hard Drive
250GB Secondary Hard Drive
3.5” Floppy Drive

Matan Eldan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
There is a chance that the USB circuits are fried, or the wiring connector is plugged in to the wrong pins in the motherboard (less likely, since the USB was fine till the Windows setup)

Another suggestion, is to try booting Windows in safe-mode.
Maybe there is a driver that causing Windows to freeze.

Matan Eldan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Let's try to reduce possible options:

Open MSCONFIG, and choose (stay in the first window ["General" tab] ) the 2nd option: Diagnostic startup.
Press Apply/OK and restart your computer.

Doe's it work for you now? (in normal mode of course)

Matan Eldan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Well, in that case - I recommend to format again (there's no data in the drive anyway, right?)
and install a fresh copy of your Windows 7.

BUT, this time make sure that there are no plugged in devices (except for mouse and keyboard)
And if you got other DVD of this Windows installation, try to use him (there is a good chance that the install DVD of your Windows is damaged)

thelarster

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Install, like last time, gets caught on Starting Windows after the reboot unless I disable USB in the bios. I tried burning a new disc also but the same issue, install won't continue unless USB is disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.