Help needed Different versions of Intel 3.0c CPU?

NJJohnny

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my first system and gathering components one at a time and Toms hardware is a great resource (for this newbie)!

After lots of reading I came to the conclusion to go with the Intel Northwood 3.0c chip due to speed/value and possible overclockability.... However, as I understand it there are two version of the 3.0c chip out there and one that some one on New Egg mentioned something with "caps of 12 or 30 (whatever that means)and that newer CPU chips sold with 12 are less desireable.

Are there two different 3.0c chips and if so, what are the diffrences (how much of a difference in performance and why)and is there a way to distinguish between the two by part number on the retail box??

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Also is the Seagate SATA 160 drive any good for $99??)

John

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I saw something about that on a customer review on new egg. I was wondering myself. Sorry I can't answer your question. Perhaps by posting your thread will move up towards the front of the section so someone knowledgible on the subject will see it and reply.
I was leaning towards the 2.8 p4 myself but now I am leaning towards athlon 64 3200+. I was looking at that hard drive too, the 7200.7 seagate baracuda in 160 and 200 gb. Tom's had reviews on both. They look cool, quiet reliable and efficient from all that I have seen. I was looking for an expert opinion on them myself as well.
peace

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 3.0c should be a Northwood 800 MHz. Front Side Bus chip. Newegg sells both a boxed version (with HSF) and an OEM bare CPU version. Intel has multiple sSpecs for the 3.0c that you can read about here;

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=483

I'm not sure what the "caps" you're referring to are. But don't get confused with the 3.0E processor which is the Prescott core (90 nm process). The Prescott has a larger L1 cache of 12k, so maybe they're thinking about. The Northwood only has an 8k L1.

Intel also has a 3.06 chip that is still the Northwood core but uses the 533 MHz. Front Side Bus.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I think if I am not mistaked he is referring to something else, a (model number?) distinction withing the "identical" northwood core product. I saw something related to that on a customer review and I was wondering what they were talking about myself. I think it is same northwood core chip, same 800 mhz front bus speed, same chip speed but a different number code on the box. The thing I read said something like this under the review for the chip new egg had for sale "beware they are shipping now #xxxxxxxxxxx instead of #xxxxxxxxxxx. I just went back on there to look for the exact quote and I didn't see it though. I thought it was under the 2.8c or 3.2c customer review but I don't see it. I checked under the 3.0 but didn't see it there either. Maybe the whole thing was a mirage? Can someone enlighten us what this is all about?

NJJohnny

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
I saw reference to this in the processor reviews for the 3.0c and this is what caused me to ask the questions. First, I appreciate the replies as I thought no one was reading my post. I am not sure what the difference is between these two chips with the same side bus (and not sure what the FC-PGA2 means either)

SL6WU 3 GHz 800 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA

SL6WK 3 GHz 800 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2
If you know what the difference is, epecially when it comes to processing speed this would be great!

Thanks
John