Create a windows home server with an in use PC

Treky123

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hello, I have over that last few years been setting up a system of computers around my home, and now that the last one is in place (it was not planed in any way, however I have decided that I have enough computes scattered around) I want to set up a home server so that I can log onto the "same data" from any one of these computes, the problem is that only one of these computers is really fast enough and expandable enough (one is a desktop, all the others are laptops in clam-shell mode plugged into a monitor) to run a server. I have a lot of important data on the Hard drive, however I boot off a SSD, If in installed windows home server on that SSD could I still use that computer regularly?, that is as I normally would use that computer now with Windows 7 installed on it? also could I still access my Data on the HDD, and would is significantly slow down that computer in any way? thank you!

^+1 I've been doing this for years. My kids put all the schoolwork on this shared folder, and I can easily back it up, and it also makes it easy to put drivers and other software that we use regularly. I have an autistic son, and he's pretty rough on his laptop, so I end up rebuilding it 3 or 4 times a year.

dingo07

Distinguished
exactly what was said...

For EACH computer u have, do this...
--click START
right-click COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES
-under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" click CHANGE SETTINGS (on the right) - the SYSTEM PROPERTIES window will open into the Computer Name tab
-click CHANGE
-make sure Workgroup is selected and type the same name in for each computer