Vista and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I'm starting to do some entry level computer IT/customer service help. I've been using Windows XP till now, and have avoided Vista like the plague. I know though I will be encountering alot of Vista related questions/problems. I was just wondering if I just familiarize myself with Windows 7, would that give me a similar user interface experience as Vista? or should I mess around with both of them to get a better feel for Vista?

Solution

There are a lot of similarities between the interfaces in Vista and Windows 7, but there are some pretty important differences, too. The new taskbar in Windows 7 operates quite differently than in Vista (mostly an improvement, IMHO). So for support purposes it would be a good idea to be familiar with...

There are a lot of similarities between the interfaces in Vista and Windows 7, but there are some pretty important differences, too. The new taskbar in Windows 7 operates quite differently than in Vista (mostly an improvement, IMHO). So for support purposes it would be a good idea to be familiar with all three (XP, Vista, Windows 7).

I can't recommend strongly enough using virtual machines to install copies of the various OS's that you support. I teach a few computer classes and this is how I support my students - I've found that I'm unable to replicate some problems my Vista students have by trying them on my own XP system. Being able to actually use the OS in question makes it much easier for me to help them.

Solution

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
As a support personnel, you will be at the front lines. Learn both as much as possible so that you could deduce the differences and similarities yourself. There's no other way to learn than to gain experience.

I kind of agree with your sentiment, but to be fair he didn't say what he supported. If he supports some specific application program (Photoshop, for example) then his OS-level expertise would be less important (but still good to have, IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.