100% cpu issue

I'm having a problem where after I come out of playing a
game of Age of Empires II and return back to the Zone and
hit the zone button to begin seeing the zone messages
again, my cpu utilization will shoot to 100% for about 3-
4 minutes and all of the Zone dialogs are inaccessible
until the cpu utilization returns back to normal. And
after this, my cpu utilization will intermittently spike
up to 100% for 5-6 seconds at a time before letting
messages come through.

Task Manager says the culprit is zclient.exe.

I've tried uninstalling the zone software and
reinstalling but it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas, anyone?
3 answers Last reply
More about issue
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    How much RAM is installed on your system?
    Running games like Age of Empires, huge textprocessing
    programs, clipart, all max out RAM from time to time.
    Just a suggestion, but speaking from personal experience
    (very recent in fact).

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I am having same problem with Zone. I experience slow
    performance, long pauses, or other indications of lag,
    whenever i am in Zone.
    But its worse when I come back from AoE game to Zone. 2
    to 4 minute Zone just freezes cant acces it, just like
    Boris said.

    This problem is of recent, before 1-2 months I didnt
    have this problem with Zone.

    If you go to Zone.com Frequent Asked Question,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=gmzfaq
    there is a question: "When I'm in a game lobby or playing
    a game on the Zone, I experience slow performance, long
    pauses, or other indications of lag."

    But there is nothing on the page. Looks like it was
    removed.

    PS: My RAM is 768MB. And rpoblem is of recent so i dont
    think RAM is problem.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I have 768MB of RAM installed, a 2GB page file and
    nothing else really active in the system -- I don't think
    it's that. I will look at peak memory usage in task
    manager next time but am pretty sure that's not it.

    I did find a reference to this same problem being somehow
    linked to ads that zclient.exe is trying to display -- it
    was described as a known issue but I'm not sure what I
    can really do with that information.

    This is very frustrating.

Games CPUs Microsoft Video Games