Need Advice on Photo All-In-One Printers?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hello,

(1) This will be my very first printer for my computer so I'm already in over my head, I mostly care about photo print quality and regular printing jobs with nice crisp text. I went over to my local BB and was told that for photo print quality that Canon is the one to go after and I usually take a salesman's word with a grain of salt. I'm currently looking at the Canon PIXMA MG6120 Wireless All-In-One Printer and the Canon PIXMA MG8120B Network-Ready Wireless All-In-One Printer that has six ink cartridges (Gray). Suggestions wanted...

(2) Which brand of photo paper is of higher quality for matte and premium quality high gloss?

Thanks in advance, Systemlord

Solution
canon or epson for photo quality prints. laser printers are not good for photo prints but are much more reliable and cheaper to run. The brand of photo paper you should use should be the same as the manufacturer of the printer. When you print photos you need to select a paper type in the driver which sets the printer up to put the correct amount of ink and raises the head to correct height etc, to get optimal prints. If you use some random paper you may get undesirable results as there is no profile in the driver for random paper. Use the manufacturers products and you will get reliable results.
canon or epson for photo quality prints. laser printers are not good for photo prints but are much more reliable and cheaper to run. The brand of photo paper you should use should be the same as the manufacturer of the printer. When you print photos you need to select a paper type in the driver which sets the printer up to put the correct amount of ink and raises the head to correct height etc, to get optimal prints. If you use some random paper you may get undesirable results as there is no profile in the driver for random paper. Use the manufacturers products and you will get reliable results.

Solution

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
After doing some research and talking to many different people I ended up getting the Canon PIXMA MG6120, I also did a lot of research regarding what paper to get and I purchased Canon's Pro Platinum photo paper 8.5" x 11". I created my own profile for using the Pro Platinum photo paper so when I select it it will always use the correct type of photo paper, size etc... I love thee glossy piano black finish, tomorrow I will start printing some pictures to do a direct comparison between my brother's Epson photos.

Thanks, Systemlord.