Computer acts like fax machine when phone rings

My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the phone
jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to be
completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug the
computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone and
answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home and
unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your answering
maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)" rings.

Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.

Per help:

To specify receive fax settings

1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware,
and then click Printers and Faxes.
2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the Devices
tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered manually,
click Manual Answer.
5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming fax is
automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The value
can be between 1 to 99.
6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it on
and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from the
list provided.
7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location. This
copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
archive folder.
"KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the
> phone
> jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to be
> completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug
> the
> computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone and
> answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home and
> unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed, but
there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control panel,
but I thought you might have other ideas.
I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
expensive oprions (no competition!)

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.
>
> Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your answering
> maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)" rings.
>
> Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.
>
> Per help:
>
> To specify receive fax settings
>

> 1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware,
> and then click Printers and Faxes.
> 2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the Devices
> tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
> 3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
> string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
> 4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered manually,
> click Manual Answer.
> 5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming fax is
> automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The value
> can be between 1 to 99.
> 6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it on
> and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from the
> list provided.
> 7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
> folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location. This
> copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
> archive folder.
> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the
> > phone
> > jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to be
> > completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug
> > the
> > computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone and
> > answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home and
> > unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

By default the fax machine is there on XP. Start, printers and faxes is
where it resides. NOT the control panel. Read my answer again.

> HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed,
> but
> there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
> panel,
> but I thought you might have other ideas.
> I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
> expensive oprions (no competition!)
>
> "Jone Doe" wrote:
>
>> Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your
>> answering
>> maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)"
>> rings.
>>
>> Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.
>>
>> Per help:
>>
>> To specify receive fax settings
>>

>> 1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other
>> Hardware,
>> and then click Printers and Faxes.
>> 2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the
>> Devices
>> tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
>> 3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
>> string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
>> 4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered manually,
>> click Manual Answer.
>> 5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming fax
>> is
>> automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The
>> value
>> can be between 1 to 99.
>> 6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it on
>> and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from
>> the
>> list provided.
>> 7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
>> folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location.
>> This
>> copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
>> archive folder.
>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the
>> > phone
>> > jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to
>> > be
>> > completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug
>> > the
>> > computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone
>> > and
>> > answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home
>> > and
>> > unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

Not all computer come configured to show "Printers and Faxes" in the start
menu.
(That is an option in customizing the start menu)
It that case, it correct to go to the Control Panel, then Printers and
Faxes.

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> By default the fax machine is there on XP. Start, printers and faxes is
> where it resides. NOT the control panel. Read my answer again.
>
> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed,
>> but
>> there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
>> panel,
>> but I thought you might have other ideas.
>> I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
>> expensive oprions (no competition!)
>>
>> "Jone Doe" wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.
>>>
>>> Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your
>>> answering
>>> maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)"
>>> rings.
>>>
>>> Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.
>>>
>>> Per help:
>>>
>>> To specify receive fax settings
>>>

>>> 1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other
>>> Hardware,
>>> and then click Printers and Faxes.
>>> 2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the
>>> Devices
>>> tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
>>> 3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
>>> string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
>>> 4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered
>>> manually,
>>> click Manual Answer.
>>> 5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming
>>> fax is
>>> automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The
>>> value
>>> can be between 1 to 99.
>>> 6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it
>>> on
>>> and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from
>>> the
>>> list provided.
>>> 7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
>>> folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location.
>>> This
>>> copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
>>> archive folder.
>>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the
phone
> jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to be
> completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug
the
> computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone and
> answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home and
> unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/autoanswer.asp

Yes, but it seems appropriate to make some assumptions. 1. That XP is the
operating system, since it's an XP newsgroup. 2. that it is set up with
the default settings, or if not the OP would say so.

So far the OP has said there is no fax machine, but that the non-existant
fax machine picks up the phone line and sends fax tones on the first ring.

"Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Not all computer come configured to show "Printers and Faxes" in the start
> menu.
> (That is an option in customizing the start menu)
> It that case, it correct to go to the Control Panel, then Printers and
> Faxes.
>
> "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> By default the fax machine is there on XP. Start, printers and faxes is
>> where it resides. NOT the control panel. Read my answer again.
>>
>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed,
>>> but
>>> there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
>>> panel,
>>> but I thought you might have other ideas.
>>> I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
>>> expensive oprions (no competition!)

Alias

Look in Printers at Start/Printers and Faxes and in your modem's properties
in the Device Manager. Also look in Administrator Tools/Services.

Alias

"KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed,
> but
> there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
> panel,
> but I thought you might have other ideas.
> I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
> expensive oprions (no competition!)
>
> "Jone Doe" wrote:
>
>> Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your
>> answering
>> maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)"
>> rings.
>>
>> Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.
>>
>> Per help:
>>
>> To specify receive fax settings
>>

>> 1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other
>> Hardware,
>> and then click Printers and Faxes.
>> 2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the
>> Devices
>> tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
>> 3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
>> string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
>> 4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered manually,
>> click Manual Answer.
>> 5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming fax
>> is
>> automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The
>> value
>> can be between 1 to 99.
>> 6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it on
>> and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from
>> the
>> list provided.
>> 7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
>> folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location.
>> This
>> copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
>> archive folder.
>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My sons computer interrupts phone call if it is left plugged into the
>> > phone
>> > jack. It starts gnerating the fax noise, not allowing a phone call to
>> > be
>> > completed. WE have dial-up internet. It is irritating to have to unplug
>> > the
>> > computer after each use on the internet, and if he forgets, our phone
>> > and
>> > answering machine are useless whne we are awy, until we can get home
>> > and
>> > unplug his computer. HELP!!!!!

I dont see anything in strt that says "printers and faxes" Thats why I went
to the ocntrol panel. I also do not know where administrator. I cannot find a
screen to adjust modem settings.

"Alias" wrote:

> Look in Printers at Start/Printers and Faxes and in your modem's properties
> in the Device Manager. Also look in Administrator Tools/Services.
>
> Alias
>
> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function installed,
> > but
> > there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
> > panel,
> > but I thought you might have other ideas.
> > I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only very
> > expensive oprions (no competition!)
> >
> > "Jone Doe" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, you could go DSL or cable, then it wouldn't be a problem.
> >>
> >> Or, you can configure the fax machine in one of two ways. If your
> >> answering
> >> maching picks up in "x" rings, set the fax to answer in "x+1 (or 2)"
> >> rings.
> >>
> >> Or set the fax to manual rather than auto.
> >>
> >> Per help:
> >>
> >> To specify receive fax settings
> >>

> >> 1.. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other
> >> Hardware,
> >> and then click Printers and Faxes.
> >> 2.. Right-click the local fax device, click Properties, click the
> >> Devices
> >> tab, click Properties, and then click the Receive tab.
> >> 3.. To specify a Called Subscriber IDentification (CSID), type a text
> >> string for the CSID in the Called Subscriber ID (CSID) box.
> >> 4.. To specify that all incoming fax calls should be answered manually,
> >> click Manual Answer.
> >> 5.. To specify how many times a line should ring before an incoming fax
> >> is
> >> automatically answered, enter a value in Automatic answer after. The
> >> value
> >> can be between 1 to 99.
> >> 6.. To specify that incoming faxes should be printed, click Print it on
> >> and select the local fax printer or remote fax printer connection from
> >> the
> >> list provided.
> >> 7.. To specify that a copy of all received faxes should be saved in a
> >> folder, click Save a copy in folder, and specify the folder location.
> >> This
> >> copy is in addition to the copy of the fax that is stored in the Inbox
> >> archive folder.
> >> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You are using XP, correct? Click on "Star"t, there should be two columns
now. On the right column, just above "Run, Search, Help and Support" there
should be a llisting for "Printers and Faxes".. Just below "Set program
access and defaults" which is just below "Control panel"

Do you have that? Click on it. Choose Fax there.

>I dont see anything in strt that says "printers and faxes" Thats why I went
> to the ocntrol panel. I also do not know where administrator. I cannot
> find a
> screen to adjust modem settings.
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> Look in Printers at Start/Printers and Faxes and in your modem's
>> properties
>> in the Device Manager. Also look in Administrator Tools/Services.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > HI -- these all would be useful, if there were a fax function
>> > installed,
>> > but
>> > there is not a fax function on the computer according to the control
>> > panel,
>> > but I thought you might have other ideas.
>> > I wish we could afford cable or DSL but in our area there are only
>> > very
>> > expensive oprions (no competition!)

Yes, true, but every Windows XP that I have setup for customers, I had to
configure so that Printers and Faxes would show in the START menu. It does
not come that way out of the box or from Dell.
Therefore, going to the Control Panel to view his "fax printer" would be the
recommended instruction that would fit all XP installations.

> Yes, but it seems appropriate to make some assumptions. 1. That XP is
> the operating system, since it's an XP newsgroup. 2. that it is set up
> with the default settings, or if not the OP would say so.
>
> So far the OP has said there is no fax machine, but that the non-existant
> fax machine picks up the phone line and sends fax tones on the first ring.
>
> "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> Not all computer come configured to show "Printers and Faxes" in the
>> start menu.
>> (That is an option in customizing the start menu)
>> It that case, it correct to go to the Control Panel, then Printers and
>> Faxes.
>>
>> "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>> By default the fax machine is there on XP. Start, printers and faxes is
>>> where it resides. NOT the control panel. Read my answer again.
>>>
>>> "KKEENA" <KKEENA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dear Sir,
Assume your OS is WinXP.You can try the followings:-

Start->Control Panel->Printers & Other Harwware->Printers &
Faxes->Fax->Right Click
FAX->Properties->Devices->Properties->Receive->Change Answer mode to
Manual.

Regards,

Samiran

What kind of modem do you have? I once had an old hardware modem that
automatically generated the fax noise whenever my phone rang, but it never
did the same on outgoing calls. A technician told me to try to change the
modem's "initiation string" and to make sure that no program had "exclusive
use" of the modem. It all got a bit too technical for me, and I was never
able to correct the problem, so I ended up getting another dial-up modem.