w32time gone missing (?)

I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail on
a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
the clock, even with the firewall off.

Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:

net stop w32time
w32tm.exe / unregister
w32tm / register
net start w32time.

I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.

Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This is
coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net, and
I get it when I'm off-line.

I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
invalid".

What is going on here?

I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on my
laptop.

Thanks

Giving credit to Les Connor:

Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
w32tm /config /update
net stop w32time
net start w32time
w32tm /resync /nowait

--
Les Connor [SBS Community Member]

"ginger liz" <ginger liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail
>on
> a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
> synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
> the clock, even with the firewall off.
>
> Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:
>
> net stop w32time
> w32tm.exe / unregister
> w32tm / register
> net start w32time.
>
> I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
> message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.
>
> Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
> Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This
> is
> coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net,
> and
> I get it when I'm off-line.
>
> I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
> invalid".
>
> What is going on here?
>
> I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
> Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on
> my
> laptop.
>
> Thanks

This doesn't help, as I said at the end of my posting I seem to have lost w32
time as well as have the synchronization problem. When I run the bat file it
runs too quickly for me to read, but I think it's saying it can't find the
files.

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> Giving credit to Les Connor:
>
> Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
> execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
> w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
> w32tm /config /update
> net stop w32time
> net start w32time
> w32tm /resync /nowait
>
> --
> Les Connor [SBS Community Member]
>

> "ginger liz" <ginger liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail
> >on
> > a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
> > synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
> > the clock, even with the firewall off.
> >
> > Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:
> >
> > net stop w32time
> > w32tm.exe / unregister
> > w32tm / register
> > net start w32time.
> >
> > I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
> > message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.
> >
> > Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
> > Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This
> > is
> > coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net,
> > and
> > I get it when I'm off-line.
> >
> > I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
> > invalid".
> >
> > What is going on here?
> >
> > I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
> > Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on
> > my
> > laptop.
> >
> > Thanks

If you need to see what is in the bat file, don't run it, open it in a text
editor (right click on the file and choose edit) and then you can see what
is in it.

Jone Doe wrote:
> Giving credit to Les Connor:
>
> Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
> execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
> w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
> w32tm /config /update
> net stop w32time
> net start w32time
> w32tm /resync /nowait

How about explaining what that does?

It fixes time sync problems.

Jone Doe wrote:
> It fixes time sync problems.

Oh yeah, that explains a lot.

Do you know what the steps do? Why not share, then?

> "Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:EBEXe.45129$1g2.35046@fe05.lga...
>
>>Jone Doe wrote:
>>
>>>Giving credit to Les Connor:
>>>
>>>Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
>>>execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
>>>w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
>>>w32tm /config /update
>>>net stop w32time
>>>net start w32time
>>>w32tm /resync /nowait
>>>

>>How about explaining what that does?

kelly

What problems are you having with MSN M, etc? Have you tried the
appropriated groups? In the meantime:

Go to Start/Run and type in: cmd
At the prompt, type in:

1. Start->Run cmd.exe
2. net stop w32time
3. w32tm /unregister [ignore error message]
4. w32tm /unregister
5. w32tm /register
6. net start w32time

Added info: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36&eventno=1405
More info: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.