w32time gone missing (?)

I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail on
a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
the clock, even with the firewall off.

Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:

net stop w32time
w32tm.exe / unregister
w32tm / register
net start w32time.

I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.

Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This is
coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net, and
I get it when I'm off-line.

I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
invalid".

What is going on here?

I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on my
laptop.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about w32time missing

    Giving credit to Les Connor:

    Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
    execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
    w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    w32tm /config /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time
    w32tm /resync /nowait

    --
    Les Connor [SBS Community Member]

    "ginger liz" <ginger liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail
    >on
    > a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
    > synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
    > the clock, even with the firewall off.
    >
    > Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:
    >
    > net stop w32time
    > w32tm.exe / unregister
    > w32tm / register
    > net start w32time.
    >
    > I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
    > message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.
    >
    > Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
    > Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This
    > is
    > coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net,
    > and
    > I get it when I'm off-line.
    >
    > I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
    > invalid".
    >
    > What is going on here?
    >
    > I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
    > Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on
    > my
    > laptop.
    >
    > Thanks

    This doesn't help, as I said at the end of my posting I seem to have lost w32
    time as well as have the synchronization problem. When I run the bat file it
    runs too quickly for me to read, but I think it's saying it can't find the
    files.

    "Jone Doe" wrote:

    > Giving credit to Les Connor:
    >
    > Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
    > execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
    > w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    > w32tm /config /update
    > net stop w32time
    > net start w32time
    > w32tm /resync /nowait
    >
    > --
    > Les Connor [SBS Community Member]
    >

    > "ginger liz" <ginger liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail
    > >on
    > > a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
    > > synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
    > > the clock, even with the firewall off.
    > >
    > > Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:
    > >
    > > net stop w32time
    > > w32tm.exe / unregister
    > > w32tm / register
    > > net start w32time.
    > >
    > > I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
    > > message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.
    > >
    > > Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
    > > Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This
    > > is
    > > coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net,
    > > and
    > > I get it when I'm off-line.
    > >
    > > I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
    > > invalid".
    > >
    > > What is going on here?
    > >
    > > I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
    > > Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on
    > > my
    > > laptop.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    If you need to see what is in the bat file, don't run it, open it in a text
    editor (right click on the file and choose edit) and then you can see what
    is in it.

    Jone Doe wrote:
    > Giving credit to Les Connor:
    >
    > Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
    > execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
    > w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    > w32tm /config /update
    > net stop w32time
    > net start w32time
    > w32tm /resync /nowait

    How about explaining what that does?

    It fixes time sync problems.

    Jone Doe wrote:
    > It fixes time sync problems.

    Oh yeah, that explains a lot.

    Do you know what the steps do? Why not share, then?

    > "Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:EBEXe.45129$1g2.35046@fe05.lga...
    >
    >>Jone Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>>Giving credit to Les Connor:
    >>>
    >>>Save the following in a .bat file, put it in a convenient location, and
    >>>execute it whenever you see time sync problems:
    >>>w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    >>>w32tm /config /update
    >>>net stop w32time
    >>>net start w32time
    >>>w32tm /resync /nowait
    >>>

    >>How about explaining what that does?

    What problems are you having with MSN M, etc? Have you tried the
    appropriated groups? In the meantime:

    Go to Start/Run and type in: cmd
    At the prompt, type in:

    1. Start->Run cmd.exe
    2. net stop w32time
    3. w32tm /unregister [ignore error message]
    4. w32tm /unregister
    5. w32tm /register
    6. net start w32time

    Added info: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36&eventno=1405
    More info: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "ginger liz" <ginger liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having problems with logging on to MSN Messenger 7.5 & hotmail
    >on
    > a new laptop. I think I have narrowed the problem down to time
    > synchronization, - even tho' the time/date is correct it won't synchronize
    > the clock, even with the firewall off.
    >
    > Someone posted a fix to turn w32 time off via the cmd.exe that went:
    >
    > net stop w32time
    > w32tm.exe / unregister
    > w32tm / register
    > net start w32time.
    >
    > I tried it, but the first line didn't run properly (can't find error
    > message now), and the rest of the sequence didn't run.
    >
    > Now when I try to synchronize internet time through the "Date & Time
    > Properties" it gives me the error "The RPC Server is unavailable". This
    > is
    > coming back so quick that it is happening on the laptop, not on the net,
    > and
    > I get it when I'm off-line.
    >
    > I've tried to "net start w32time", but I'm getting "The service name is
    > invalid".
    >
    > What is going on here?
    >
    > I need help really badly. I'm typing this on my old desktop, as I'm off to
    > Uni in the next few days and I want to be able to use Messenger/Hotmail on
    > my
    > laptop.
    >
    > Thanks

Windows XP