Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus laptop can't connect to Netgear N600 router.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 1, 2012 5:28:49 PM

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 7 and a netgear N600 router and I can't connect to it or any Netgear networks. I can connect to other networks and others can connect to my network and all other devices work except my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much.
December 11, 2012 7:00:40 PM

Church388 said:
I have an Asus laptop with Windows 7 and a netgear N600 router and I can't connect to it or any Netgear networks. I can connect to other networks and others can connect to my network and all other devices work except my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much.

I'm having the same issue, not sure exactly when it started but it's occurring on a Win7 desktop and my 2 Roku's. The last major (and only) change I have made was upgrading my WNDR3700 V1 router to V1.0.16.98NA about a month ago.

I haven't narrowed the problem down to the upgrade but it's pretty suspect since all of those issues started about the same time. Hard to tell since I don't use the devices all the time and the router doesn't like to recognize devices unless it has a hard reboot after something has been connected.

No solution yet, but I'll let you know if I find one.
m
l

Best solution

December 12, 2012 12:38:18 PM

So I spent a bit of time on this last night and (hopefully) corrected it.

The symptoms were:

Some wireless devices could connect to the router such as a couple of laptops, a desktop and our Galaxy II phones.

Some devices could not connect to wireless, such as the Kindle's & Roku's.

Nothing could connect via hardwire, though I did notice that for about 4 or 5 seconds after each of the multiple router reboots, my hardwired desktop appeared to have a connection that could ping the router OK, then the connection just disappeared.

The N600 diagnostic tools are obviously very limited. There were a couple collisions adding up every minute or so, but nothing abnormal.

Steps taken:

Reset router to factory settings and reconfigured it. The hardwired desktop now had a functional connection however the wireless device connection status remained unchanged.

Did a continuous ping simultaneously on both the wired PC and wireless laptop back to the router. The wireless connection had a normal looking pretty constant <1ms response. The hardwired desktop however had responses bouncing up and down from 1ms to around 4000ms.

Disconnected all UTP cables from the router except for the desktop. Continuous ping responses remained unchanged.

Swapped out the patch cable going to the desktop, continuous pings returned to normal at a very constant <1ms. All wireless and wired connections returned to normal function. Had the the pings not corrected, I would have swapped ports on the router to see if that was the issue, and/or tried another NIC to isolate the cause.

So I guess the moral of this story is that a single bad device on the N600 router can cause it to lose partial functionality making it appear to fail without revealing itself in the router stats.

Related resources
December 17, 2012 4:59:26 PM

Thanks, I did something much the same and I finally did get it working. Thanks a lot.

Twons said:
So I spent a bit of time on this last night and (hopefully) corrected it.

The symptoms were:

Some wireless devices could connect to the router such as a couple of laptops, a desktop and our Galaxy II phones.

Some devices could not connect to wireless, such as the Kindle's & Roku's.

Nothing could connect via hardwire, though I did notice that for about 4 or 5 seconds after each of the multiple router reboots, my hardwired desktop appeared to have a connection that could ping the router OK, then the connection just disappeared.

The N600 diagnostic tools are obviously very limited. There were a couple collisions adding up every minute or so, but nothing abnormal.

Steps taken:

Reset router to factory settings and reconfigured it. The hardwired desktop now had a functional connection however the wireless device connection status remained unchanged.

Did a continuous ping simultaneously on both the wired PC and wireless laptop back to the router. The wireless connection had a normal looking pretty constant <1ms response. The hardwired desktop however had responses bouncing up and down from 1ms to around 4000ms.

Disconnected all UTP cables from the router except for the desktop. Continuous ping responses remained unchanged.

Swapped out the patch cable going to the desktop, continuous pings returned to normal at a very constant <1ms. All wireless and wired connections returned to normal function. Had the the pings not corrected, I would have swapped ports on the router to see if that was the issue, and/or tried another NIC to isolate the cause.

So I guess the moral of this story is that a single bad device on the N600 router can cause it to lose partial functionality making it appear to fail without revealing itself in the router stats.

m
l
December 17, 2012 5:00:00 PM

Best answer selected by Church388.
m
l
!