Multimedia Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hi, I am looking to buy a new laptop. My main priority is to be able to support 1080p playback via HDMI so I can hook it up to my TV to watch videos.Hopefully it is compact so that I can lug it around easily, but it is. Also, I prefer a laptop with an Core I-series processor.

I was considering the newly refreshed Alienware M11x. I was also considering the Dell Studio 17. Are there any other alternatives? My budget is $1200.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
1_What is your budget?
Less than $1100, maximum to $1200

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
No Preference.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
No Preference

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Preferably portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
At least 3 hours on high perfomance, 5 hours on power saving.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Games....not not a priority. But maybe light games like CS and fifa on low settings

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
HDMI out with support for 1080p playback. I want to be able to use it as a media center to plug into my TV and watch movies.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I'll use external hard drives for my movies so my primary hard capacity can be low, like 160 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No site chosen yet

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I want it to last the entire 4 years of college.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
At least DVD writer. Bluray ROM would be bonus.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Hopefully dell coz my college has a student purchase program with it. Plus my last 3 laptops have been dell and they've generally been upto the mark.

13_What country do you live in?
Live in India, but can purchase it from Canada or USA as well.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
My main priority is the 108-p video playback via HDMI and that it should last for at least 4 years. This is why I am unsure about Alienware m11x as it has a relatively weak processor even in the new one to last for 4 years. The Dell Studio 17 has i7-720QM processor which I think will not be as outdated 4 years down the line, and plus it has a strong graphic card for under $1100.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Thanks, but I'm looking for a minimum of i5-540QM.

Does anybody know what's the cheapest i7-720QM laptop?
Also, what is the minimum video card requirement for 1080p playback via HDMI? Will Intel HD Graphics work?

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Yeah sorry...I mean the i5-540M.

And yeah I can sacrifice the battery life for i7 720QM. I can always buy one extra battery for backup but I can't change the processor in the future so I'd rather go with a stronger processor for now.

bloodcrane

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
ya but when i bought it they had a sale for 350 off...so the i7 came out to be $950.....ithink it ended on the 10th tho.....but Lenovo is always having those type of sales just wait like a week or so....and im pretty sure another sale will pop up

bloodcrane

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
kk....go to gizmodo.....they have daily like article called dealzmodo....http://gizmodo.com/5561061/gadget-deals-of-the-day.....scroll down till u see the lenovo deal....and wahlla...its show how to get it

Studio 16 is a great laptop with one of the best LCDs in the market, but it becomes hot(even with normal usages)
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5719&p=2
"Heat and Noise
As in the previous version of the Studio XPS 16, the machine can get on the toasty side during heavy gaming. The palmrest and keys become noticeably warm (just under what I’d call hot). The extended battery helps to prop up the laptop and promote some airflow underneath, but placing this on your lap will definitely cause you to sweat. Even when just surfing the web (and viewing some flash videos), it gets warm"

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
So if I compare the Lenovo Y560(i7 720QM, HD 5730, 8 GB RAM) on discount and Studio XPS 16(i7 720QM, HD 5730, 4 GB RAM), both at an approx price of $1200, which is a better value for money? The lenovo one right? Coz it has 8 GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.