Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Good Afternoon-

Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
without it.

Thanks for any help you can send.

-Walt
4 answers Last reply
More about microsoft framework version

    "Walt" wrote:
    > Good Afternoon-
    >
    > Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
    > seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
    > without it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can send.

    Well, you said it all - some software won't work without it.
    .NET Framework is a runtime environment that includes
    a virtual machine that executes a common meta-code
    compiled from programs written in source languages such
    asVisual Basic.NET, C#, C++.NET, and a number of
    older languages that 3rd party software companies are
    porting to the .NET Framework. Probably of most interest
    to Microsoft is C#, a proprietary language that is very much
    like Java and which Microsoft hopes will replace Java.
    Microsoft has such an vested interest in .NET Framework
    that I hear it will be a part of the new Vista operating system,
    and you will probably find more and more programs written
    that need .NET Framework to run.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Walt" <shadydark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Good Afternoon-
    >
    > Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1?
    > It seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't
    > work without it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can send.
    >
    > -Walt

    ..NET is the Microsoft Web services strategy to connect information, people,
    systems, and devices through software. Integrated across the Microsoft
    platform, .NET technology provides the ability to quickly build, deploy,
    manage, and use connected, security-enhanced solutions with Web services.
    ..NET-connected solutions enable businesses to integrate their systems more
    rapidly and in a more agile manner and help them realize the promise of
    information anytime, anywhere, on any device.

    The Microsoft platform includes everything a business needs to develop and
    deploy a Web service-connected IT architecture: servers to host Web
    services, development tools to create them, applications to use them, and a
    worldwide network of more than 35,000 Microsoft Certified Partner
    organizations to provide any help you need.

    Based on that, do you need it? If so, download it.

    In news:uftQ7YTvFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Walt <shadydark@hotmail.com> typed:

    > Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > version
    > 1.1?

    Necessary? No.

    > It seems to be an optional feature.

    Yes.

    > However, some software
    > programs won't work without it.

    Yes.
    The .net framework is a runtime file needed to run programs
    written with .net. It's roughly analogous to the old vbrunXXX.dll
    files needed to run programs written in Visual Basic.

    Because .net is relatively new, there aren't yet a lot of
    programs that use it. A few months ago I had none. Today I have
    three. Even if you don't run any of these programs now, it's
    likely that you will soon, so my recommendation is that you might
    as well get this, so it will be there when you need it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Walt wrote:
    > Good Afternoon-
    >
    > Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
    > seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
    > without it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can send.

    It is necessary if you have any programs that need it. If you don't
    have any of those programs, then it is not necessary.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

Framework Microsoft Windows XP