Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Good Afternoon-

Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
without it.

Thanks for any help you can send.

-Walt

"Walt" wrote:
> Good Afternoon-
>
> Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
> seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
> without it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can send.

Well, you said it all - some software won't work without it.
.NET Framework is a runtime environment that includes
a virtual machine that executes a common meta-code
compiled from programs written in source languages such
asVisual Basic.NET, C#, C++.NET, and a number of
older languages that 3rd party software companies are
porting to the .NET Framework. Probably of most interest
to Microsoft is C#, a proprietary language that is very much
like Java and which Microsoft hopes will replace Java.
Microsoft has such an vested interest in .NET Framework
that I hear it will be a part of the new Vista operating system,
and you will probably find more and more programs written
that need .NET Framework to run.

*TimDaniels*

"Walt" <shadydark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Good Afternoon-
>
> Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1?
> It seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't
> work without it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can send.
>
> -Walt

..NET is the Microsoft Web services strategy to connect information, people,
systems, and devices through software. Integrated across the Microsoft
platform, .NET technology provides the ability to quickly build, deploy,
manage, and use connected, security-enhanced solutions with Web services.
..NET-connected solutions enable businesses to integrate their systems more
rapidly and in a more agile manner and help them realize the promise of
information anytime, anywhere, on any device.

The Microsoft platform includes everything a business needs to develop and
deploy a Web service-connected IT architecture: servers to host Web
services, development tools to create them, applications to use them, and a
worldwide network of more than 35,000 Microsoft Certified Partner
organizations to provide any help you need.

Based on that, do you need it? If so, download it.

In news:uftQ7YTvFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Walt <shadydark@hotmail.com> typed:

> Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework
> version
> 1.1?

Necessary? No.

> It seems to be an optional feature.

Yes.

> However, some software
> programs won't work without it.

Yes.
The .net framework is a runtime file needed to run programs
written with .net. It's roughly analogous to the old vbrunXXX.dll
files needed to run programs written in Visual Basic.

Because .net is relatively new, there aren't yet a lot of
programs that use it. A few months ago I had none. Today I have
three. Even if you don't run any of these programs now, it's
likely that you will soon, so my recommendation is that you might
as well get this, so it will be there when you need it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Walt wrote:
> Good Afternoon-
>
> Is it necessary for me to download Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1? It
> seems to be an optional feature. However, some software programs won't work
> without it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can send.

It is necessary if you have any programs that need it. If you don't
have any of those programs, then it is not necessary.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows