XP 2700 - Stock HSF in crashing... need opinion *DELETED*

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
<b>My 2 questions are... Is this a natural occurance? If a processor is overheating in a game would that cause a crash to desktop or a lockup? Sometimes it's ctd, sometimes it's a hard lock with sound looping.</b>
I think what usually happens is that the system ought to shut down, but I guess that depends on the mobo. Maybe your timings are funky somewhat in BIOS, check em out.

<b>Second question - I want a quiet-semi-quiet heatsink/fan combo that'll work... what's good?</b>
Thermalright's SP-94 maybe. You can slap on a large quiet adjustable fan, or dinky noisy one. Depends.

<b>Also, maybe some thermal paste will solve this problem?</b>
Wait... you telling us you didn't use thermal paste on your system? Woah there buddy!

-----
<font color=red><b>1800+ (1.53GHz) to 1000+ (1.0GHz) on air. Underclock successful.

Sub 1GHz speeds coming soon.</b></font color=red>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<Wait... you telling us you didn't use thermal paste on your system? Woah there buddy!>>>

the thermal pad comes on the hs/f numnuts.

if i were u i'd send that bullshit to amd and ask for a refund. but serisouly i would bet its your memory or motherboard unless u didn't install the hs/f correctly.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt you could heat that thing up enough without overclocking. When you underclock, guess what, you draw less power. Look at the 12v rail output on your power supply. If you don't have 16-18a that Radeon card is going to eat your lunch. I agree the stock XP heatsinks are junk, but this sounds like a power supply problem. :smile:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Download Motherboard monitor and see what temp the CPU is running as you play. I doubt that heat will take things down after 10 seconds of game play. That sounds like something else...

If you're not getting the problems at other times, try to put the computer under load some other way besides gaming to see if it locks up. Try Sisoft Sandra burn-in or something like that.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ten seconds is too short for normal heat issues, you most likely have a power issue, try the latest version of Motherboard Monitor 5 and set it to record your readings to a file at short intervals (like 5 seconds). Start the game and when it crashes, restart and read the log. It should tell you the voltages of all the rails within the time interval you chose from the crash.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

http://www.amamax.com/pomabyxctipl1.html

^ Power Supply Information... +12V-16A...
Looks like it has 16a of 12v so the radeon should be fine? Wierd... not sure, maybe it's just because it's a generic psu?
Would it be smarter to start looking for a new heatsink/fan or name brand power supply?

Problem - Crashing to desktop and ocassionally hard locking while playing
demanding games.

XP2700 w/ stock retail Heatsink/Fan Combo
768MB Memory (512 and 256 PC2700 166/333)
Radeon 9700pro 128mb
XCase 600w Power Supply

Notes - freshly installed system, all updated drivers, only 4 apps starting
up in msconfig - apc ups status (battery backup), mobsync (? but needed),
delttray (audio card), type32 (internet keyboard)

When XP2700/333 is clocked down to XP1500/100 crashing doesn't happen.
Uninstalling Norton Systemworks completely - crashing still happens.
Tested Power supply - Perfect with power supply tester...

G

I just realized that the website page says 12v-16a, but when I look on the power supply it says 24a for the 12v. I'm guessing that it's actually 24a.

G

According to motherboard monitor log the cpu temp never goes above 118 degrees F (set up for use on my specific motherboard - ecs ktva3 r8 (i think that's right, something along those lines).

Here's a readout from motherboard monitor when the program crashed, the listing moving up (it was always an in-game lockup and I had to ctrl-alt-delete and force quit the program to get back to the desktop, not a simple crash to desktop or hard lock as I mentioned before. I was also able to load the game again. It happens whether I have gamespy launching the game or not)..

+3.3 +5.00 +12.00 -12.00

3.36 V 3.93 V 6.78 V -4.24 V
3.36 V 3.93 V 6.78 V -4.24 V
3.33 V 3.44 V 10.33 V -5.79 V
3.34 V 3.66 V 10.27 V -10.43 V
3.34 V 3.63 V 9.23 V -9.80 V
3.36 V 3.99 V 7.68 V -8.82 V
3.34 V 3.80 V 8.26 V -4.47 V
3.38 V 4.12 V 6.13 V -7.74 V
3.36 V 3.85 V 9.49 V -6.99 V

You can see where it crashed, 3rd line down from the top, when the -12 goes from -10.43 to -5.79 and the +12 from 10.33 to 6.78. This was taken in 1 second intervals. I'm baffled, maybe this psu just can't handle my system? The specs of it look ok to me after comparing to other models listed on newegg (more name brand). I know the cpu isn't overheating as someone I know is constantly running at 140 farenheit... help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those voltages are terrible, even if their taken from the wrong place. MBM5 can mess up an report the 3.3v from the I/O line instead of the 3.3v line, the 5v line from the 3.3v line, etc. But even then the voltages should be fairly stable. I'm not at all concerned about the -12 or -5v lines, but the other voltages look totally FUBAR. I'd have to guess you're dealing with a junk power supply.

If you want a relatively inexpensive power supply, consider Fortron Source, their 350W unit outputs over 400W peak and has something like 11 years mean time between failures.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Hmmm... I just don't want to spend the $80 on a new 500-600 watt power supply (name brand) and have this problem still exist, from all this data though I guess I can conclude that it is the psu, what a pos. Here's my system :

3 7200rpm hard drives, 3 cd drives, all five pci slots full, 9700pro in agp, 2x ddr modules, xp2700, 7in1 card reader using mobo usb, 3 case fans. pretty loaded system (everything in case is filled to max) so that's why I feel that I need a 500-600watt system. What's a good name brand budget supply to get? Would a fortron source psu running at around 400w be enough to handle this loaded system? If not, then what? I saw this at newegg, how's this look?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-148-009&depa=0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
500-600W means nothing if you don't have a quality name behind it. I could stick a 500W label on a brick!

I've never been able to overload <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=0" target="_new">This Power Supply</A>, but for you, I suggest <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-962&depa=0" target="_new">This One</A> Unless you would like to get blue LED's in the fan for a few dollars more.

Oh, and here's a <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-407&depa=0" target="_new">Less Expensive Version</A> of the Fortron Source 400W, it uses an 80mm fan (Sparkle Power is part of the FSP group, "Fortron-Source PowerMan").

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to be absolutely positive, disconnect as much of the load (extra drives etc.) as possible and try the game again running the bare minimum in hardware. You may see less fluctuation with less load, but, those MBM5 readings are GOD AWFUL! :frown:

G

Ok, thanks for helping out a noob... it is the psu as I connected an Enlight 250watt psu and it worked fine running the 2700xp and radeon9700pro in games w/ max detail... wtf. What a POS!!! I'm glad none of my components fried, off to return this and buy either an antec or fortron. Any other brands people here would reccomend besides these 2? I might be able to return the 600w psu for this one below and pay the difference... would this work with my system?

http://www.amamax.com/pscnwb001xcwt420atx.html

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It might, but if I was you I would buy <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=0" target="_new">this</A> for less money! :smile: