Fluffeei

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Bit of an ignorant question really, but I'm upgrading from a 2ghz p4 to a 2.8 and i would like to know if i have to shell out for a new fan/heatsink (ebay.co.uk prices seem to be much cheaper w/o) or if i can hold on to my old one?

I completed tetris...

ChrisPi

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I just upgraded from a 1.8p4 to a 2.6p4 and used the same stock heatsink/fan that came with the 1.8. I stress tested it for 4 hours with prime 95 and the heat hasn't got out of hand so far. If you do buy a new heatsink don't go on the cheap, get a good one. I bought a cheapo heatsink from TigerDirect and couldn't figure out why the new cpu would die every time after 1 minute. Turns out the stupid thing didn't fit the mounting bracket properly and wasn't even making contact with my cpu. I'm lucky I didn't fry the core.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChrisPi on 06/05/04 09:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<urns out the stupid thing didn't fit the mounting bracket properly and wasn't even making contact with my cpu. I'm lucky I didn't fry the core.>>> lucky??? u can't fry the core i've tried. its called quality.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The reason it didn't die is because Athlon64 and P4 has built in temp probe, turning themselves off if they're overheating. AthlonXP on the other hand, if you didn't enable the option in the motherboard bios, even if you did there's still a chance of frying it, your chip will fry.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<The reason it didn't die is because Athlon64 and P4 has built in temp probe, turning themselves off if they're overheating. AthlonXP on the other hand, if you didn't enable the option in the motherboard bios, even if you did there's still a chance of frying it, your chip will fry.>>>

are u sure?? LMAO. obviosly i know this that's why i told him it wasn't luck his p4 didn't fry. i've taken the damn hs/f off a 3.06p4 and a 3ghz prescott while they were running. it just overheats and shuts off.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zer0 on 06/05/04 12:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well I didn't know if you knew, and i wasn't sure, since you ARE an Intel fanboy, so...

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<Well I didn't know if you knew, and i wasn't sure, since you ARE an Intel fanboy, so...>>> so i'm a fanboy now? actually i'm really good at replacing bad athlon motherboards... our company does it all the time.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Man, what's with the component section, everbody's gets pissed so easily.

*going back to my little overclocking corner*