Format partition

September 20, 2005 1:09:58 AM

I have a partition (E:) on a Sata drive which was temporarely used as a
system (boot) drive. Then I installed a new OS(XPSP2) on the C: drive and
use it as boot drive. I deleted everything I could on that E: partition, but
certain files can not be deleted, Is it save to format that E: partition
because there is nothing on it that I need. I suppose this will not
interfere with my C: drive installation, Is this correct? Thanks for any
advise.

More about : format partition

September 20, 2005 1:09:59 AM

Formatting E: will have no effect on C: - assuming what you said is correct
and everyhting has been deleted except for the problem files.

"Andre De Clercq" <andre,declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I have a partition (E:) on a Sata drive which was temporarely used as a
>system (boot) drive. Then I installed a new OS(XPSP2) on the C: drive and
>use it as boot drive. I deleted everything I could on that E: partition,
>but certain files can not be deleted, Is it save to format that E:
>partition because there is nothing on it that I need. I suppose this will
>not interfere with my C: drive installation, Is this correct? Thanks for
>any advise.

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:11:03 AM

Thanks Jerry. Before formatting only one little question which puzzles me:
the E: partition (logical drive) I mentioned contained XP before. Does this
mean that when formatting, the MBR needs to be rewritten too? And my
question is then, if this process will not make the data of the other
partition (F:)  of that same physical Sata drive make unreadeable. I read
somewhere that MBR manages the whole physical drive..

!