XP Home Belarc info ?

After running Belarc Advisor, it informs me that someone has logged in
as guest on my computer some two hours before I got to work this morning.

Since the guest account is disabled, and I am the only user of this box,
password protected, I assume it's a mistake. But then where is Belarc
coming up with this erroneous info?
4 answers Last reply
More about home belarc info

    Airman QPD wrote:
    > After running Belarc Advisor, it informs me that someone has
    > logged in as guest on my computer some two hours before I
    > got to work this morning.
    > Since the guest account is disabled, and I am the only user
    > of this box, password protected, I assume it's a mistake.
    > But then where is Belarc coming up with this erroneous info?

    Do you have any folders or printers on this computer that are
    shared over the network? If you do then Belarc may be noting
    access to one of those items. XP Home uses what's called Simple
    File Sharing to allow access to shared resources. Simple File
    Sharing authenticates network users by using the Guest account.
    On your PC, the Guest account is off, but it's not disabled.
    That simply means you can't sit down at the keyboard and logon
    as Guest. Check to see if someone who has permission to shared
    resources on your system tried to access them this morning.

    Here's an article that provides more details on this subject:

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

    Quoting from the article: "Remote users always authenticate as
    the Guest account." and "
    If you turn off the Guest account in the User Accounts Control
    Panel tool, only the guest's ability to log on locally is
    affected. The account is not disabled."

    If this access was not attempted by a user on your local LAN
    then you might want to start running a firewall program that
    prohibits access from beyond your local network. If you're not
    sharing any resources on your system, you might want to
    consider disabling File and Printer sharing altogether. It
    wouldn't hurt to take a look in the Security section of Event
    viewer and see when the Guest account is listed in the
    Logon/Logoff category. Right click the event and select
    Properties. Look for Logon Type: 3 which indicates access from
    the network.

    Nepatsfan

    Thanks, that seems to be the answer. Only the 'Shared Documents' folder
    is accessible on the network, and that appears to be the culprit.

    "Airman QPD" <airman.basic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > After running Belarc Advisor, it informs me that someone has logged in as
    > guest on my computer some two hours before I got to work this morning.
    >
    > Since the guest account is disabled, and I am the only user of this box,
    > password protected, I assume it's a mistake. But then where is Belarc
    > coming up with this erroneous info?

    Better get to work a bit earlier then.
    Chas

    You're welcome.

    Nepatsfan

    Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    > Thanks, that seems to be the answer. Only the 'Shared
    > Documents' folder is accessible on the network, and that
    > appears to be the culprit.
    > Nepatsfan wrote:
    >> Airman QPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> After running Belarc Advisor, it informs me that someone
    >>> has logged in as guest on my computer some two hours
    >>> before I got to work this morning.
    >>> Since the guest account is disabled, and I am the only user
    >>> of this box, password protected, I assume it's a mistake.
    >>> But then where is Belarc coming up with this erroneous
    >>> info?
    >>

    >> Do you have any folders or printers on this computer that
    >> are shared over the network? If you do then Belarc may be
    >> noting access to one of those items. XP Home uses what's
    >> called Simple File Sharing to allow access to shared
    >> resources. Simple File Sharing authenticates network users
    >> by using the Guest account. On your PC, the Guest account
    >> is off, but it's not disabled. That simply means you can't
    >> sit down at the keyboard and logon as Guest. Check to see
    >> if someone who has permission to shared resources on your
    >> system tried to access them this morning. Here's an article
    >> that provides more details on this
    >> subject: How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >>
    >> Quoting from the article: "Remote users always authenticate
    >> as the Guest account." and "
    >> If you turn off the Guest account in the User Accounts
    >> Control Panel tool, only the guest's ability to log on
    >> locally is affected. The account is not disabled."

Computers Microsoft Windows XP