Installation Failure at 11% - driver.cab

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup (More info?)

I am trying to install Windows XP on a computer for a friend. The system is
somewhat older, but still capable of running XP. Everytime I try
installing, it fails when copying files at 11% - driver.cab. Does anyone
know why this might be occurring?

I have tried using a different CD, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, Hard Drive and swapped
out the IDE cable. No matter what, it fails at the same point. Here are
the specs on the computer:

Motherboard: ASUS P3V-4X
CPU: Intel Pentium III 500MHz
RAM: 2 x 256MB PC100 SDRAM
HD1: Maxtor 90845D4 10 GB
HD2: Maxtor 6L020J1 20 GB
Video: ATI Radeo 7200

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason Williard

metamorph

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup (More info?)

Copy the complete installation to the hard drive 1st and install from there.
Also check that you can copy the driver.cab of the CD FIRST

Malke

Jason Williard wrote:

> I am trying to install Windows XP on a computer for a friend. The
> system is
> somewhat older, but still capable of running XP. Everytime I try
> installing, it fails when copying files at 11% - driver.cab. Does
> anyone know why this might be occurring?
>
> I have tried using a different CD, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, Hard Drive and
> swapped
> out the IDE cable. No matter what, it fails at the same point. Here
> are the specs on the computer:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS P3V-4X
> CPU: Intel Pentium III 500MHz
> RAM: 2 x 256MB PC100 SDRAM
> HD1: Maxtor 90845D4 10 GB
> HD2: Maxtor 6L020J1 20 GB
> Video: ATI Radeo 7200

Failure to install an operating system is usually because of bad or
marginal hardware. Win9x/ME was much more forgiving of marginal
hardware than more modern operating systems. I would start by testing
the RAM.

I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the
program from a working machine. You will either download the
precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
- XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
test run for an hour or two - unless errors are seen immediately. If
you get any errors, replace the RAM.

Also, make sure you are not installing with any peripherals (except
mouse/keyboard) attached.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup (More info?)

But not on the compatibility list it seems.
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/