No parallel port (LPT1:) on new computers

henseln

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I cannot connect an HP CLJ 4500N to my HP Pavilion p6380t WIN 7 computer ... there is no parallel port.

A PCI parallel port card does not fit in the computer (slot is too small).
I have the proper WIN7 driver but if I try to connect using ethernet cable... (TCPIP), there appears to be recognition but the test page does not print. There is no communication between the two using the cable.

Is there a work-around for this?

aandreatta

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

If this is the printer that I think it is, you will need to have the printer plugged into one of a few different pieces of hardware

1. a network switch that your PC is plugged into as well(this requires settings a static IP address on both the PC and the Printer)

2. a home use router that is handing out DHCP(Dynamic IP Address)....this is the method by which most people access the internet in their homes

3. (business solution) the printer should be plugged into a switch along with a server that is handing out "bootp" and is also running some form of print server software

4. if you wish to connect the printer directly to your PC....
-you will need a "Crossover cable"(this is similar to a normal CAT5e patch cable but is wired differently on each end)
-you will also need to set a static IP address on the printer(you can get instructions on this from HP's website)
-you will also need to set a static IP address on your PCs "Local Area Connection"(these instructions can be found by google "setting a static IP in windows 7"

hope this helps