Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
know what I need?
--
Dave

You need the Windows XP CD you originally used to install.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dave" wrote:

| My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
| suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
| When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
| disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
| system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
| resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
| know what I need?
| --
| Dave

Another thing you might want to try. From the Command Prompt (**Not** in Start\Run) type in sfc /purgecache and then when it says it succeeded you type in sfc /scannow. Does it work then?

--
Peter

"Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C3CFC3D-92C4-4E9A-AB5C-C1010AF4DF68@microsoft.com...
> My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
> suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
> When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
> disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
> system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
> resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
> know what I need?
> --
> Dave

Depending on your version disk you used to install XP it works like this.
In the Registry is a key called CDInstall - normally if you use a CD-ROM
to install this key is set to a value of 1. This tells XP it will need that
disk
for any future content that's required. If you install a stand-alone
Service
Pack that will create a folder called ServicePackFiles. SFC (System File
Checker) is actually part of Windows File Protection. Whenever a XP
core component is (Deleted, Renamed or moved) changed WFP will
"Quietly" replace the file from it's cache. When you run SFC /Scannow
what really happens is you repopulate the DLLCache folder found under
the X:\Windows\System32 tree.

The normal searching hierarchy is the DLLCache folder 1st, then it will
seek the files from the ServicePackFiles folder and finally the original
i386
folder.

An SFC failure can be due to missing search paths or the availability of
only the original (Not ServicePack) level files.

Another thing you might want to try. From the Command Prompt (**Not** in
Start\Run) type in sfc /purgecache and then when it says it succeeded you
type in sfc /scannow. Does it work then?

--
Peter

> My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at
> earthlink
> suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
> When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
> disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my
> operation
> system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
> resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
> know what I need?
> --
> Dave

Would suspect your system CD did not incorporate any SP installed now. And
why your OS is "at a different level".