Downlevel system disc

My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
know what I need?
--
Dave
4 answers Last reply

    You need the Windows XP CD you originally used to install.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dave" wrote:

    | My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
    | suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
    | When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
    | disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
    | system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
    | resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
    | know what I need?
    | --
    | Dave

    Another thing you might want to try. From the Command Prompt (**Not** in Start\Run) type in sfc /purgecache and then when it says it succeeded you type in sfc /scannow. Does it work then?

    --
    Peter

    "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C3CFC3D-92C4-4E9A-AB5C-C1010AF4DF68@microsoft.com...
    > My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at earthlink
    > suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
    > When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
    > disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my operation
    > system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
    > resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
    > know what I need?
    > --
    > Dave

    Depending on your version disk you used to install XP it works like this.
    In the Registry is a key called CDInstall - normally if you use a CD-ROM
    to install this key is set to a value of 1. This tells XP it will need that
    disk
    for any future content that's required. If you install a stand-alone
    Service
    Pack that will create a folder called ServicePackFiles. SFC (System File
    Checker) is actually part of Windows File Protection. Whenever a XP
    core component is (Deleted, Renamed or moved) changed WFP will
    "Quietly" replace the file from it's cache. When you run SFC /Scannow
    what really happens is you repopulate the DLLCache folder found under
    the X:\Windows\System32 tree.

    The normal searching hierarchy is the DLLCache folder 1st, then it will
    seek the files from the ServicePackFiles folder and finally the original
    i386
    folder.

    An SFC failure can be due to missing search paths or the availability of
    only the original (Not ServicePack) level files.

    Another thing you might want to try. From the Command Prompt (**Not** in
    Start\Run) type in sfc /purgecache and then when it says it succeeded you
    type in sfc /scannow. Does it work then?

    --
    Peter

    > My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at
    > earthlink
    > suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
    > When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
    > disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my
    > operation
    > system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
    > resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
    > know what I need?
    > --
    > Dave

    Would suspect your system CD did not incorporate any SP installed now. And
    why your OS is "at a different level".
    > My internet explores is not functioning properly. Tech suppoet at
    earthlink
    > suggested I run the command; sfc /scannow.
    > When I run the command sfc /scannow it requests that I put my xp system
    > disc into the computer. When I do this I get the messsage that my
    operation
    > system is at a different level, and does not make any changes. How can I
    > resolve this. Do I need a system disc that matches my system and How do I
    > know what I need?
    > --
    > Dave

Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP