Unable to power up HP9695 pavilion

Hi all,

I have an HP 9895 pavilion. The fan died and then subsequently the PC
shutdown. I replaced the fan (this is the fan in the fan tunnel)with
a fan that I bought from FRYs with similar rating and dimensions. Now
when I switch the power on, I can hear the drives start up, see the
fans running but there is no display. The display has the yellow light
on (indicating there is no signal, it is green when there is a
signal). I don't even get the blue HEWLETT PACKARD display before it
looks for the operating system. I have checked the display on another
system and it works fine. I have also tried a different display on
this PC and still it doesn't power up. I understand this could be some
kind of thermal shutdown, and if so how can I fix it.

Secondly if it turns out the mother board is fried, I would like to
use this hard drive to recover my files. What can I do? I understand
that I could use this as a slave drive in another machine. When I
look at the hard drive it says jumper j50 is configured for a master
drive and slave drive is off. How do I make this a slave drive on
another system (HP Pavilion 8637).

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KKumar.

If the motherboard is fried, your easiest replacement would be an identical one.
Any variation in motherboard, video, or audio chipset from the original is a
cause of time-consuming labor to get Windows adjusted to the replacement
chipset.

I had to service THREE computers this week with motherboard replacements. I
could not get identical replacements quickly, so my clients paid for hours of my
time to install drivers and mindlessly watch Windows reboot time and again.
Windows, any version, is mightly hostile to motherboard replacements and
upgrades.

You can also install the drive as a second drive on another computer. You will
then be able to access all your data, but you probably will not be able to use
the software on the drive from the Pavilion 9695 unless you reinstall it.

.... Ben Myers

On 30 Apr 2004 12:13:57 -0700, kkumar29@comcast.net (KKumar) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have an HP 9895 pavilion. The fan died and then subsequently the PC
>shutdown. I replaced the fan (this is the fan in the fan tunnel)with
>a fan that I bought from FRYs with similar rating and dimensions. Now
>when I switch the power on, I can hear the drives start up, see the
>fans running but there is no display. The display has the yellow light
>on (indicating there is no signal, it is green when there is a
>signal). I don't even get the blue HEWLETT PACKARD display before it
>looks for the operating system. I have checked the display on another
>system and it works fine. I have also tried a different display on
>this PC and still it doesn't power up. I understand this could be some
>kind of thermal shutdown, and if so how can I fix it.
>
>Secondly if it turns out the mother board is fried, I would like to
>use this hard drive to recover my files. What can I do? I understand
>that I could use this as a slave drive in another machine. When I
>look at the hard drive it says jumper j50 is configured for a master
>drive and slave drive is off. How do I make this a slave drive on
>another system (HP Pavilion 8637).
>
>Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>KKumar.

Thank you. Looks like I'll have to contact HP to get the motherboard
replacement. By the way, how would I know if the motherboard is dead
?

Thanks

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<4092b113.29982990@news.charter.net>...
> If the motherboard is fried, your easiest replacement would be an identical one.
> Any variation in motherboard, video, or audio chipset from the original is a
> cause of time-consuming labor to get Windows adjusted to the replacement
> chipset.
>
> I had to service THREE computers this week with motherboard replacements. I
> could not get identical replacements quickly, so my clients paid for hours of my
> time to install drivers and mindlessly watch Windows reboot time and again.
> Windows, any version, is mightly hostile to motherboard replacements and
> upgrades.
>
> You can also install the drive as a second drive on another computer. You will
> then be able to access all your data, but you probably will not be able to use
> the software on the drive from the Pavilion 9695 unless you reinstall it.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On 30 Apr 2004 12:13:57 -0700, kkumar29@comcast.net (KKumar) wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have an HP 9895 pavilion. The fan died and then subsequently the PC
> >shutdown. I replaced the fan (this is the fan in the fan tunnel)with
> >a fan that I bought from FRYs with similar rating and dimensions. Now
> >when I switch the power on, I can hear the drives start up, see the
> >fans running but there is no display. The display has the yellow light
> >on (indicating there is no signal, it is green when there is a
> >signal). I don't even get the blue HEWLETT PACKARD display before it
> >looks for the operating system. I have checked the display on another
> >system and it works fine. I have also tried a different display on
> >this PC and still it doesn't power up. I understand this could be some
> >kind of thermal shutdown, and if so how can I fix it.
> >
> >Secondly if it turns out the mother board is fried, I would like to
> >use this hard drive to recover my files. What can I do? I understand
> >that I could use this as a slave drive in another machine. When I
> >look at the hard drive it says jumper j50 is configured for a master
> >drive and slave drive is off. How do I make this a slave drive on
> >another system (HP Pavilion 8637).
> >
> >Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >KKumar.

If you buy a genuine HP replacement motherboard with HP part number, be prepared
to pay a lot of money, maybe half of what a new computer would cost.

I have special hardware to use to verify that a motherboard is dead. Without
the hardware, the process is to substitute components (CPU, motherboard) one at
a time until the system boots... Ben Myers

On 1 May 2004 06:46:00 -0700, kkumar29@comcast.net (KKumar) wrote:

>Thank you. Looks like I'll have to contact HP to get the motherboard
>replacement. By the way, how would I know if the motherboard is dead
>?
>
>Thanks
>

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<4092b113.29982990@news.charter.net>...
>> If the motherboard is fried, your easiest replacement would be an identical one.
>> Any variation in motherboard, video, or audio chipset from the original is a
>> cause of time-consuming labor to get Windows adjusted to the replacement
>> chipset.
>>
>> I had to service THREE computers this week with motherboard replacements. I
>> could not get identical replacements quickly, so my clients paid for hours of my
>> time to install drivers and mindlessly watch Windows reboot time and again.
>> Windows, any version, is mightly hostile to motherboard replacements and
>> upgrades.
>>
>> You can also install the drive as a second drive on another computer. You will
>> then be able to access all your data, but you probably will not be able to use
>> the software on the drive from the Pavilion 9695 unless you reinstall it.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 30 Apr 2004 12:13:57 -0700, kkumar29@comcast.net (KKumar) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >I have an HP 9895 pavilion. The fan died and then subsequently the PC
>> >shutdown. I replaced the fan (this is the fan in the fan tunnel)with
>> >a fan that I bought from FRYs with similar rating and dimensions. Now
>> >when I switch the power on, I can hear the drives start up, see the
>> >fans running but there is no display. The display has the yellow light
>> >on (indicating there is no signal, it is green when there is a
>> >signal). I don't even get the blue HEWLETT PACKARD display before it
>> >looks for the operating system. I have checked the display on another
>> >system and it works fine. I have also tried a different display on
>> >this PC and still it doesn't power up. I understand this could be some
>> >kind of thermal shutdown, and if so how can I fix it.
>> >
>> >Secondly if it turns out the mother board is fried, I would like to
>> >use this hard drive to recover my files. What can I do? I understand
>> >that I could use this as a slave drive in another machine. When I
>> >look at the hard drive it says jumper j50 is configured for a master
>> >drive and slave drive is off. How do I make this a slave drive on
>> >another system (HP Pavilion 8637).
>> >
>> >Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >KKumar.

Thanks. It is economically too expensive to troubleshoot and fix that
PC considering that it is four years old. So we have decided to
recover the data from the hard drive by making it a slave drive in the
other PC and buy a new PC instead.

Thanks,
KKumar