Building a Mystery

jasonmstone

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I asked about this over on the AnandTech forums with little response, so I hope to have better luck here. Last week, for the first time ever, I built a computer. Miraculously, it seems to be working.

The motherboard shipped with a CD that included a few utilities, including something called EzClock and another called AOConfig. The former seems to allow real-time adjustments in Windows to voltage and clock settings (and I'm afraid to touch them), and the latter is apparently just a small collection of random information.

They have both managed to confuse me, though I admit that's no great feat. As I mentioned before, I've never done this before, so when I first entered the BIOS, I left everything to default settings. Now I'm starting to wonder if, by doing so, I've cut the hamstrings of the system (so to speak). I mean... what if, by some ommission on my part, the computer is running much more slowly than it COULD be running? Is there some way to tell?

I throw myself at the pity of those of you with more knowledge of computer hardware than me (which will include pretty much everyone). If I leave you with what little information I've been able to gather on my own, would you mind looking at this and seeing if you notice anything that seems especially... odd? I don't know what I'm looking at, but maybe one of you can put my mind at ease. (It's entirely possible I'm just being paranoid and neurotic... as per usual.)

Anyway, the setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
AOpen AK-86L (K8T800)
OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Platinum Edition (512MBx2) PC-3200
ATI Radeon Pro 9800
WD Raptor 74GB

Now, on EzClock, the following numbers are listed:

CPU:
Ratio 10.0x, FSB 255 MHz, FREQ 2550 MHz
Voltage 1.500

On the other part of the utility, the header says VOL/CLK. Beyond that, there's no indication what the numbers represent...
DRAM (three numbers are listed, but I don't know what they mean):
2.650, 1, 0.00

AGP (two numbers, again no clue what for):
1.530, 85.00

PCI:
3.300, 42.50

Then the weird thing is that AOConfig shows different numbers for frequency and core voltage:
[Processor Information]
CPU Vendor - AMD
CPU Type - Athlon 64
CPU Identity - Family: 15 Model: 4 Step: 8
Socket Type - Socket A
Frequency - 2010MHz = 201MHz * 10.0
Core Voltage - 1.52V

::shaking head:: Does any of that mean anything to anybody? Is there some other setting I can check or some other way to determine if I'm getting full usage out of this contraption?

Thanks...

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
way to go on using Aopen, its my favorite ( i have an AK77-600N if you want to see what i have). Ezclock is something that i never use because i dont like it, but it enables you to do software based overclocking-if the settings you chose dont work just hit the reset button and all is well again.

For you to have maximum performance i would recomend going into the BIOS and slecting "set turbo defaults" or something along those lines, this is the foolproof way to get good performance from the computer.

The numbers under AGP and PCI are their voltage/frequency.

DRAM is the voltage/multiplier/ and it should be frequency but its not.

and Aoconfig gives exact system information. most processors are off by a couple mghz but the operating system rounds it out.

EZclock might be showing you like an overclocking preset or something, im not sure.

But from my experience the only Aopen utility that is more usful than annoying is the Silentek utility, it makes your compy nice and quiet.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Use a program called clockgen and CPU-Z get them both from www.cpuid.com then overclock using clockgen, and CPU-Z will provide accurate information on your system. They're both very easy to use, and very good programs.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
scottchen recommendations are very good! I will only add this : you can use MotherBoard Monitor software to monitor temperature/fan speed/cpu speed/etc...

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
:frown: ClockGen doesn't support my motherboard.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>