Joe

We have built a computer for one of the disabled members of our Senior Group
and installed Window XP on a 6 GB Hard Drive, however the computer only
recognises this as a 2 GB Drive.

Can anyone please advise me as to how I can rectify this?

--

Regards
Joe

In the BIOS for the PC how is the translation method for the IDE
Channel,Tap set to : (Auto, LBA,Manual). Also, which format did
you employ on the drive ? If you use Diskmgmt.Msc does the
graphical representation of the disk show any unallocated space ?
If not & only the 2.0 Gig is present then it's likely the BIOS setup
for the drive is incorrect (Cylinders, Sectors & Heads)
Disk Management invoked by Start, Run (Type) Diskmgmt.Msc [Enter]

"Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> We have built a computer for one of the disabled members of our Senior
> Group and installed Window XP on a 6 GB Hard Drive, however the computer
> only recognises this as a 2 GB Drive.
>
> Can anyone please advise me as to how I can rectify this?
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

Dear Mr.Joe,
I would like to share one my similar experience very recently. It may
give you some idea.

In a almost new PC we formated (WinXP) the 80GB HDD. After WinXP
installation it was showing as 10GB HDD. This HDD was also formatted
earlier by using NTFS (one partition), before that it was formatted
with WIN 98 (with large capacity disk support).

We have formatted the HDD once again very carefully by using WINXP &
now it is alright.

We think during format (win98-fdisk) proper partition was not created
except the master resulted all these unusual problem.

Regards,

Samiran

Joe

Thanks for your information, I have passed that onto my mate who done that
part of and I will have to revisit the computer to check out what you have
asked.

Appreciated.

--

Regards
Joe

"R. McCarty" <PCEngWork-NoSPAM_@Mindspring.com> wrote in message
> In the BIOS for the PC how is the translation method for the IDE
> Channel,Tap set to : (Auto, LBA,Manual). Also, which format did
> you employ on the drive ? If you use Diskmgmt.Msc does the
> graphical representation of the disk show any unallocated space ?
> If not & only the 2.0 Gig is present then it's likely the BIOS setup
> for the drive is incorrect (Cylinders, Sectors & Heads)
> Disk Management invoked by Start, Run (Type) Diskmgmt.Msc [Enter]
>
> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> We have built a computer for one of the disabled members of our Senior
>> Group and installed Window XP on a 6 GB Hard Drive, however the computer
>> only recognises this as a 2 GB Drive.
>>
>> Can anyone please advise me as to how I can rectify this?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania

anna

> Thanks for your information, I have passed that onto my mate who done that
> part of and I will have to revisit the computer to check out what you have
> asked.
> Appreciated.
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

Joe:
Just one more thing in addition to Mr. McCarty's recommendation...

I'm hesitant to mention this because it may be a bit "far out" and probably
has no relevance to your situation since you say your organization just
built a computer for one of your members and it's highly unlikely, highly
unlikely, that you installed a ten-year-old motherboard in that system. But
since you included a 6 GB hard drive (6 Gigabytes, Joe?), let me throw this
out for what it's worth. (And I realize it probably ain't worth much!)

There *was* a 2 GB drive capacity limitation imposed by the motherboards of
those days (circa 1996). But I now realize that it's absurd to think that
you and your members would have installed a ten-year-old motherboard in a
newly-built computer, so forgive me for even thinking this might be the
cause of the problem.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your Senior Group...
Anna

Joe

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
>>> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

>> "R. McCarty" <PCEngWork-NoSPAM_@Mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> In the BIOS for the PC how is the translation method for the IDE
>>> Channel,Tap set to : (Auto, LBA,Manual). Also, which format did
>>> you employ on the drive ? If you use Diskmgmt.Msc does the
>>> graphical representation of the disk show any unallocated space ?
>>> If not & only the 2.0 Gig is present then it's likely the BIOS setup
>>> for the drive is incorrect (Cylinders, Sectors & Heads)
>>> Disk Management invoked by Start, Run (Type) Diskmgmt.Msc [Enter]
>

> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your information, I have passed that onto my mate who done
>> that part of and I will have to revisit the computer to check out what
>> you have asked.
>> Appreciated.
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania
>

> Joe:
> Just one more thing in addition to Mr. McCarty's recommendation...
>
> I'm hesitant to mention this because it may be a bit "far out" and
> probably has no relevance to your situation since you say your
> organization just built a computer for one of your members and it's highly
> unlikely, highly unlikely, that you installed a ten-year-old motherboard
> in that system. But since you included a 6 GB hard drive (6 Gigabytes,
> Joe?), let me throw this out for what it's worth. (And I realize it
> probably ain't worth much!)
>
> There *was* a 2 GB drive capacity limitation imposed by the motherboards
> of those days (circa 1996). But I now realize that it's absurd to think
> that you and your members would have installed a ten-year-old motherboard
> in a newly-built computer, so forgive me for even thinking this might be
> the cause of the problem.
>
> Anyway, best of luck to you and your Senior Group...
> Anna

Thank you Anna, please don't ever hesitate to mention anything as the
situation is that it was an old computer. What happens is that we have some
of the older models donated to us and we try and build up something useable
for out disadvantaged members so there is a very real possibility that the
limitation that you mention does apply.

So your thinking was not absurd, it's just that we don't charge a high
membership and all our work is voluntary, and Tasmania being spread out so
much sometimes we have to travel 100 miles plus to hold our seminars etc.

I often come here for help and advice for our members problems and do truly
appreciate the help that you people so willingly give.

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Joe

Further to my last reply I have got this answer back from David and it may
tell you people something.

Joe, I didn't set up the hard drive, but I got the BIOS to do an autodetect
and it came up with the correct parameters and it showed the size as 8.4GB.
As I recall. I left the Mode set to Auto, but I also tried LBA at one stage
and it made no difference. As I think I told you, Windows reports that the
NTFS file system is being used.
I didn't run diskmgmt.msc.

Any help?

--

Regards
Joe

> "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

>>> "R. McCarty" <PCEngWork-NoSPAM_@Mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your information, I have passed that onto my mate who done
>>> that part of and I will have to revisit the computer to check out what
>>> you have asked.
>>> Appreciated.
>>> Regards
>>> Joe
>>> Tasmania
>>

>> Joe:
>> Just one more thing in addition to Mr. McCarty's recommendation...
>>
>> I'm hesitant to mention this because it may be a bit "far out" and
>> probably has no relevance to your situation since you say your
>> organization just built a computer for one of your members and it's
>> highly unlikely, highly unlikely, that you installed a ten-year-old
>> motherboard in that system. But since you included a 6 GB hard drive (6
>> Gigabytes, Joe?), let me throw this out for what it's worth. (And I
>> realize it probably ain't worth much!)
>>
>> There *was* a 2 GB drive capacity limitation imposed by the motherboards
>> of those days (circa 1996). But I now realize that it's absurd to think
>> that you and your members would have installed a ten-year-old motherboard
>> in a newly-built computer, so forgive me for even thinking this might be
>> the cause of the problem.
>>
>> Anyway, best of luck to you and your Senior Group...
>> Anna
>
> Thank you Anna, please don't ever hesitate to mention anything as the
> situation is that it was an old computer. What happens is that we have
> some of the older models donated to us and we try and build up something
> useable for out disadvantaged members so there is a very real possibility
> that the limitation that you mention does apply.
>
> So your thinking was not absurd, it's just that we don't charge a high
> membership and all our work is voluntary, and Tasmania being spread out so
> much sometimes we have to travel 100 miles plus to hold our seminars etc.
>
> I often come here for help and advice for our members problems and do
> truly appreciate the help that you people so willingly give.
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

anna

> Further to my last reply I have got this answer back from David and it may
> tell you people something.
>
> Joe, I didn't set up the hard drive, but I got the BIOS to do an
> autodetect and it came up with the correct parameters and it showed the
> size as 8.4GB. As I recall. I left the Mode set to Auto, but I also tried
> LBA at one stage and it made no difference. As I think I told you, Windows
> reports that the NTFS file system is being used.
> I didn't run diskmgmt.msc.
> Any help?
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

Joe:
If I understand you correctly, you're now saying that the HD in question is
an 8.4 GB drive that's correctly detected in the BIOS, but the OS sees it at
2 GB. Is that right?

If so, the only thing I can think of at this point is also a bit
far-fetched, but I'll throw it out anyway.

I vaguely recall some years ago (well before the advent of XP) that there
was a Microsoft program called Drive Image that had been used during the
Win95 and (I think) the Windows 3.1 eras. Users later ran into a problem
that when they were using a 8.4 GB HD, the system would report a capacity of
only 2 GB and it was determined that the Drive Image program was the
culprit. It was some weird incompatibility involving the file systems of
those days. I honestly don't know if that could possibly be the root cause
of the problem you're experiencing with an XP system. It would seem nearly
beyond comprehension that that DI program would still be on that machine or
would be operable.
Anna