creating correct file permissions

September 20, 2005 12:17:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,
I have to create a shared folder from the root of C: drive of an xp
workstation that only a single security group can access through a windows
2003 domain. This shared folder can only have read and writes for the
subfolders and files for this specific security group. All other domian user
accounts need to be denied access through the LAN. How do I go about
applying these persmissions. TIA.

Joey
September 20, 2005 3:32:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right click C: drive, create a share (e.g. "C-Drive"), and give your
security group (e.g. "MYDOMAIN/This-Group") full read/write SHARE
permissions.

Creating a new share above, rather than fiddling with the permissions
on the default c$ admin share, is just good practice. Giving full
read/write SHARE permissions will allow just that group to connect to
the share. Rely on the underlying SECURITY permissions to take care of
what they are actually able to read/write to.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:19:59 PM

"Joe" <candulj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have to create a shared folder from the root of C: drive of an xp
> workstation that only a single security group can access through a
windows
> 2003 domain. This shared folder can only have read and writes for the
> subfolders and files for this specific security group. All other domian
user
> accounts need to be denied access through the LAN. How do I go about
> applying these persmissions. TIA.
>
> Joey

In "My Computer", right-click the shared folder, click "Security",
then apply the desired permissions.
!