4600 and 2400 update

Having posted regarding updating or replacing my 2400 I finally figured out
the best of both worlds scenario. I gave the 2400 to my wife, who only surfs
the net a bit, does our banking, a bit of HW Solitaire 3...etc. She could
not be happier. And I have the 4600 now with an ATI 9800 Pro and DVD burner
and P4 2.8 HT. My programs (yes some heavy gaming at times) run like a
charm. Thanks for all the help folks.

Regards,
John O.

Well, that does seem like the easiest solution :)

Tom

In article <8fgyc.51651$8k4.1108596@news20.bellglobal.com>,
jjo@nospam.ca says...
> Having posted regarding updating or replacing my 2400 I finally figured out
> the best of both worlds scenario. I gave the 2400 to my wife, who only surfs
> the net a bit, does our banking, a bit of HW Solitaire 3...etc. She could
> not be happier. And I have the 4600 now with an ATI 9800 Pro and DVD burner
> and P4 2.8 HT. My programs (yes some heavy gaming at times) run like a
> charm. Thanks for all the help folks.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

I just setup my new 4600 yesterday and so far everything is great. My
other PC is a Duron 800 and it is still pretty speedy so giving to my
sister to replace the old PII 266 she has. She also only does a bit of
surfing, banking, light games etc. Another happy ending for everyone. I
am still getting used to the sound in my new 4600 - I cranked it last
night and was surprised at the response compared to the onboard sound
with my old pc.
--
Cheers!

Jan

Not the cheapest but the easiest by far. I also scored points with my wife
so even better. And I can use the 2400 to act as a file server for
additional storage, but that fact has not been divulged to my wife...a slip
of my memory I ahem...assume. Nice thing about getting older is that you can
use that as an excuse for almost anything.

Regards,
John O.

> Well, that does seem like the easiest solution :)
>
> Tom
> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Having posted regarding updating or replacing my 2400 I finally figured
> out
> > the best of both worlds scenario. I gave the 2400 to my wife, who only
> surfs
> > the net a bit, does our banking, a bit of HW Solitaire 3...etc. She
could
> > not be happier. And I have the 4600 now with an ATI 9800 Pro and DVD
> burner
> > and P4 2.8 HT. My programs (yes some heavy gaming at times) run like a
> > charm. Thanks for all the help folks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.

I feel the need to jump in here as well. I bought a new, unopened 4600 off
ebay in April. Paid 459$ for it, didn't need monitor as I have a very nice
17" lcd, but it was getting to where my old Compaq 5610 was just at a dead
end in upgrading. I have been extremely pleased with the Dell, was just what
I wanted, and has done every thing I have wanted it to do (burn DVD home
movies, Photoshopping, etc)

Rex

> Not the cheapest but the easiest by far. I also scored points with my wife
> so even better. And I can use the 2400 to act as a file server for
> additional storage, but that fact has not been divulged to my wife...a
slip
> of my memory I ahem...assume. Nice thing about getting older is that you
can
> use that as an excuse for almost anything.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

> > Well, that does seem like the easiest solution :)
> >
> > Tom
> > "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > > Having posted regarding updating or replacing my 2400 I finally
figured
> > out
> > > the best of both worlds scenario. I gave the 2400 to my wife, who only
> > surfs
> > > the net a bit, does our banking, a bit of HW Solitaire 3...etc. She
> could
> > > not be happier. And I have the 4600 now with an ATI 9800 Pro and DVD
> > burner
> > > and P4 2.8 HT. My programs (yes some heavy gaming at times) run like a
> > > charm. Thanks for all the help folks.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John O.

Glad to hear it and sometimes things do work out. The 4600 has been just
what I wanted in a system. I have not tried burning any DVDs yet but am
going to dive in this weekend when I get some time to fool around with it
and I know a bit more about how to do it and what I am doing.

Regards,
John O.

"Rex McCall" <rex@wonder.net> wrote in message
> I feel the need to jump in here as well. I bought a new, unopened 4600 off
> ebay in April. Paid 459$ for it, didn't need monitor as I have a very nice
> 17" lcd, but it was getting to where my old Compaq 5610 was just at a dead
> end in upgrading. I have been extremely pleased with the Dell, was just
what
> I wanted, and has done every thing I have wanted it to do (burn DVD home
> movies, Photoshopping, etc)
>
> Rex
>

> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Not the cheapest but the easiest by far. I also scored points with my
wife
> > so even better. And I can use the 2400 to act as a file server for
> > additional storage, but that fact has not been divulged to my wife...a
> slip
> > of my memory I ahem...assume. Nice thing about getting older is that you
> can
> > use that as an excuse for almost anything.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John O.
> >

> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > > Well, that does seem like the easiest solution :)
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> figured
> > > out
> > > surfs
> > could
> > > burner

For interest, check your BIOS for "Drive acoustics"!

I've never seen this before. I thought my own 4600's two, 40GB
drives were awfully quiet. The BIOS revealed "Bypass" as
selected, which is apparently a default to "Quietest," According
to F1 Help, anything but "Performance" (normal hard drive ticking
sounds) compromises drive performance.

I set it to "Performance." Now at least I know when the drives
are active without craning for the LED. They have indeed made a
way-quieter machine than back in the Day.