BackupBuddy won't restore, help!

December 9, 2004 7:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
batteries, which it's never done before :(
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

More about : backupbuddy restore

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:50:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:00:26 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
>took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
>I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
>know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
>I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
>batteries, which it's never done before :(

Possibly a bad capacitor, or maybe just a freak thing that you lost
all data when changing the batteries. Your best solution is probably
to get a backup module. That's what I use and then never have to worry
about restoring from my PC. Not sure what Visor you have. I have a
Visor Pro, so have to use a 16 meg module. I also have a Visor
Platinum and the 16 meg module works for it as well. Should be able to
find one, but offhand, I found this link to the 16 meg one on a quick
Google search:

http://www.satech.com/16hanvisspri.html
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 4:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
> I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
> took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
> I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
> know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
> I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
> batteries, which it's never done before :(
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)
They do that once in a while. In the over two years I have been using
my Visor (I still use it occasionally) it has done this once. I have
heard of some having it happen all the time, but pretty rarely. It has
something to do with the little capacitor that is supposed to keep it
alive not having enough charge in it to hold it up.

--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
> I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
> took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
> I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
> know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
> I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
> batteries, which it's never done before :(
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Additionally all you should need to do is to put it in the cradle and
hotsync with the same name as before. That should restore everything
just fine. At least it always has for me.

--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:20:31 GMT, Cy Welch <cywelch@yahoo.com> spewed:
>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>> I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
>> took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
>> I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
>> know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
>> I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
>> batteries, which it's never done before :(

>They do that once in a while. In the over two years I have been using
>my Visor (I still use it occasionally) it has done this once. I have
>heard of some having it happen all the time, but pretty rarely. It has
>something to do with the little capacitor that is supposed to keep it
>alive not having enough charge in it to hold it up.

That must be it. I'd hoped it had some sort of mini-rechargeable batt.
inside. Guess not. I did let it get REALLY low, then not change the
batts. for some time.
Do you know how long the cap. holds the mem for when the batts. are
removed?

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:49:36 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:20:24 GMT, Cy Welch <cywelch@yahoo.com> spewed:
>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>> I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
>> took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
>> I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
>> know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
>> I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
>> batteries, which it's never done before :(

>Additionally all you should need to do is to put it in the cradle and
>hotsync with the same name as before. That should restore everything
>just fine. At least it always has for me.

I did!
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:49:37 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:50:57 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> spewed:
>>I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
>>took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
>>I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
>>know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
>>I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
>>batteries, which it's never done before :(
>
>Possibly a bad capacitor, or maybe just a freak thing that you lost
>all data when changing the batteries. Your best solution is probably
>to get a backup module. That's what I use and then never have to worry
>about restoring from my PC. Not sure what Visor you have. I have a
>Visor Pro, so have to use a 16 meg module. I also have a Visor
>Platinum and the 16 meg module works for it as well. Should be able to
>find one, but offhand, I found this link to the 16 meg one on a quick
>Google search:
>
>http://www.satech.com/16hanvisspri.html

I think it's Deluxe, as it has only 8MB.
Is that big panel on back that looks like it slides off, but as of yet
doesn't do anything AFAIK, where you can put more mem.?

My bigger concern is why BB didn't work. All the data's there sitting in
the right dir on the PC, but BB acts like it's never been backed up and
won't restore it!
I was able to use my latest manual backup (thank God I still did them just
in case) to restore some stuff, but not the most current.
Kinda pisses me off because BB has saved my ASS more times than I can
count on my Treo from the card, dunno why it can't work right from PC.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:30:36 PM

In message <570qr05fia3gldek5ri6q7cqubbdqgmce6@4ax.com>
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>That must be it. I'd hoped it had some sort of mini-rechargeable batt.
>inside. Guess not. I did let it get REALLY low, then not change the
>batts. for some time.

That is pretty much what the little capacitor is -- It's a tiny itty
bitty little battery.

>Do you know how long the cap. holds the mem for when the batts. are
>removed?

Minutes at best.

--
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section
in a swimming pool.

In article <kb0qr0hc8es9sp42vm6j382ft3ei5auel0@4ax.com>, see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:50:57 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> spewed:
>>>I've got BackupBuddy set to sync/backup on my old Visor, but after it just
>>>took a dump I tried to use it to restore and it claims there's no backups.
>>>I looked in it's dir under Visor's username and it IS backed up. Anybody
>>>know how I can fix BB and make it see it, and restore correctly? Also,
>>>I'd love to know why the Visor lost everything when I changed the
>>>batteries, which it's never done before :(
>>Possibly a bad capacitor, or maybe just a freak thing that you lost
>>all data when changing the batteries. Your best solution is probably
>>to get a backup module. That's what I use and then never have to worry
>>about restoring from my PC. Not sure what Visor you have. I have a
>>Visor Pro, so have to use a 16 meg module. I also have a Visor
>>Platinum and the 16 meg module works for it as well. Should be able to
>>find one, but offhand, I found this link to the 16 meg one on a quick
>>Google search:
>>
>>http://www.satech.com/16hanvisspri.html
> I think it's Deluxe, as it has only 8MB.
> Is that big panel on back that looks like it slides off, but as of yet
> doesn't do anything AFAIK, where you can put more mem.?

That is the space for Springboard modules.
Personally I'd recommend getting the SmartMedia module and a memory card,
rather than the backup module. You can backup to the memory card, and still
have space leftover for storage. The module comes with software builtin for
backup/restore and moving files to/from the card, and this software is
available whenever the module is plugged in, so if your batteries do run
down, you just change them and run the restore program.
The reason for recommending the SmartMedia module over the CompactFlash or
SD/MMC is that it uses significantly less power.
Full title was Portable Innovations MemPlug.
!