Chaintech VNF3-250 audio

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
How good is the audio quality on this motherboard? Is it equivalent to the SB Audigy (not Audigy2) I have in my current box? Thanks.

Do <i> you </i> have a chicken hat?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Audigy and Audigy 2 are roughly equivalent in quality, and no it's no where near neither of the creative products you mentioned.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ceative quality? Not IMO. My Live Platinum 5.1 had less fidelity than some of my old ISA cards. I had to fix a buzzing noise. It kept loosing the rear channels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
nForce3 250 don't have the SoundStorm APU. The Audio Quality will depend on the MB codec. I think that today's codec are working well and have good audio quality. But, they might use more CPU power than add-in PCI cards.

I also read that the nForce Audio Drivers don't support all audio features on some codec. So you might consider installing the Cmidia/Realteck audio drivers instead of the nForce3 Audio Drivers. At least, to check if there is any difference in CPU usage or features.

NOTE : The <A HREF="http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=266" target="_new">Chaintech ZNF3-250</A> MB seems to offer a better audio subsystem. But is it available?

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA20007" target="_new">163$</A> is not 3x the price. It might be worth it, it's a featured loaded board!

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Yes, unfortunately, soundstorm is gone. But I seem to remember seeing benches somewhere of integrated vs add-in sound, and the fps hit was pretty negligible (like 4-5)

"Yeah, I got a magazine for you. It's fulla hollow points. You're gonna love it when I put that in a gun, and then put 'em in your brain!" - Carl

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Crash read my post again, the quality of the 2 cards he has mentioned, the SB Audigy and 2, they're much better than the live series.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll let you know this weekend. I just got the CPU mounted but screwing with Central Air now. :frown:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard the Audigy cleaned up the sound a bit, well my sound WAS clean part of the time (when no other issues were causing noise).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Ok, that clears up the first part of my sound decision.

I'll be swapping over my Gigabyte 845PE to my mom, who currently has an old SB Live card installed. Would the sound on the board I'm swapping (Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio) trump the SB Live? She actually does do some gaming, so I'd want the sound to be ok (i.e. at least as good as the SB Live.)

Come to think of it, here's another alternative: get the MSI K8N Neo Platinum instead of the Chaintech, and swap the Audigy card to the other system. How's the sound compare this way as well?

Thanks guys.

Do <i> you </i> have a chicken hat?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Squidmaster on 06/10/04 06:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These codecs are OK, even compared to the Live. Plus they have simpler drivers less prone to sudden, unexplainable misconfiguration.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
The Live is 3 years old or so. I'd <i> assume </i> that just about any onboard sound would be at least as good as this card, but I don't have the experience with them. Is there a good source for codec info I should be looking for?

<font color=purple> Do <i> you </i> have a chicken hat? </font color=purple>