Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Start Menu will not show up

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
show up. Any suggestions?

More about : start menu show

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:21:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?

What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
"Settings", and reduce the resolution?

"Kissangel" wrote:

> Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> show up. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

the entire taskbar is missing.

"MichaelHensley" wrote:

> Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
> problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?
>
> What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
> "Settings", and reduce the resolution?
>
> "Kissangel" wrote:
>
> > Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> > motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> > to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> > show up. Any suggestions?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ok, did you try changing the resolution? Do you even get the menu when you
right-click on the desktop?

Forgive me if this is too obvious, but when move the cursor to the bottom of
the screen, does the taskbar appear?

"Kissangel" wrote:

> the entire taskbar is missing.
>
> "MichaelHensley" wrote:
>
> > Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
> > problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?
> >
> > What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
> > "Settings", and reduce the resolution?
> >
> > "Kissangel" wrote:
> >
> > > Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> > > motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> > > to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> > > show up. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Michael ....I can get the start menu and the entire task bar in safe mode. I
have even tried another hard drive and I was able to get it on that hard
drive. So that leads me to believe something is wrong on the current hard
drive. i can get the desktop properties window.

"MichaelHensley" wrote:

> Ok, did you try changing the resolution? Do you even get the menu when you
> right-click on the desktop?
>
> Forgive me if this is too obvious, but when move the cursor to the bottom of
> the screen, does the taskbar appear?
>
> "Kissangel" wrote:
>
> > the entire taskbar is missing.
> >
> > "MichaelHensley" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
> > > problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?
> > >
> > > What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
> > > "Settings", and reduce the resolution?
> > >
> > > "Kissangel" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> > > > motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> > > > to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> > > > show up. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:43:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ah! That sounds kind of familiar. Try this kb article from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027

"Kissangel" wrote:

> Michael ....I can get the start menu and the entire task bar in safe mode. I
> have even tried another hard drive and I was able to get it on that hard
> drive. So that leads me to believe something is wrong on the current hard
> drive. i can get the desktop properties window.
>
> "MichaelHensley" wrote:
>
> > Ok, did you try changing the resolution? Do you even get the menu when you
> > right-click on the desktop?
> >
> > Forgive me if this is too obvious, but when move the cursor to the bottom of
> > the screen, does the taskbar appear?
> >
> > "Kissangel" wrote:
> >
> > > the entire taskbar is missing.
> > >
> > > "MichaelHensley" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
> > > > problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?
> > > >
> > > > What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
> > > > "Settings", and reduce the resolution?
> > > >
> > > > "Kissangel" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> > > > > motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> > > > > to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> > > > > show up. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2005 11:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have ran a repair on windows xp. I did have an issue with virus at one
point. i will try the other two suggestions in the kb. If that does not work
I think my only hope will be to re - install windows completely. Iam trying
not to do that. Hp has a seperate partion for their os system...for restores.
i will give the kb doc a try and let you know. thanks michael

"MichaelHensley" wrote:

> Ah! That sounds kind of familiar. Try this kb article from Microsoft:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
>
> "Kissangel" wrote:
>
> > Michael ....I can get the start menu and the entire task bar in safe mode. I
> > have even tried another hard drive and I was able to get it on that hard
> > drive. So that leads me to believe something is wrong on the current hard
> > drive. i can get the desktop properties window.
> >
> > "MichaelHensley" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, did you try changing the resolution? Do you even get the menu when you
> > > right-click on the desktop?
> > >
> > > Forgive me if this is too obvious, but when move the cursor to the bottom of
> > > the screen, does the taskbar appear?
> > >
> > > "Kissangel" wrote:
> > >
> > > > the entire taskbar is missing.
> > > >
> > > > "MichaelHensley" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Are you missing the entire taskbar, or just the "Start" button, or is the
> > > > > problem that nothing happens when you press the "Start" button?
> > > > >
> > > > > What if you right-click on the desktop, click on "Properties", then
> > > > > "Settings", and reduce the resolution?
> > > > >
> > > > > "Kissangel" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on my
> > > > > > motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the bios
> > > > > > to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> > > > > > show up. Any suggestions?
September 20, 2005 6:00:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done so
or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager. If
this is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe if
it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in:
Explorer.exe.

Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791

If still nothing:

Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs
file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

Added info and help:

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.



"Kissangel" <Kissangel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F1A29691-4985-484C-8128-E481561EAA08@microsoft.com...
> Iam currently on hp windows xp home edition. The video adapter failed on
> my
> motherboard. I have replaced it with a 16mb video card and changed the
> bios
> to the agp setting for the adapter. I still can not get the start menu to
> show up. Any suggestions?
!