anyone try the 1600n laser printer fax scanner copier ?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
9 answers Last reply
More about anyone 1600n laser printer scanner copier
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com>,
    jp <jp at nospam dot net> writes:
    > Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    > fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA

    No, but I have the Canon MP360 inkjet, and it's fine.

    I saved quite a bit by not getting the FAX option. When I want to
    FAX, I scan to disk and then use the Windows FAX program. It saves
    printing cover sheets as well.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine copy
    quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them not
    sure on the price though - hope that helps
    "jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    > Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    > fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    > news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    > > Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    > > fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
    >
    >
    "The Hedonist" <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:pVZzc.2950$Cd3.2102@newsfe4-gui...
    > This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine
    copy
    > quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    > it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    > as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them
    not
    > sure on the price though - hope that helps

    I am confused. If it is simply a rebadged Samsung whose cartridges I see at
    various places (including 3rd party replacements), then why do you say you
    must by the carts from Dell. Or did I misunderstand that you meant it is
    made for Dell by Samsung but not just a rebadge Samsung model?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Thanks for the info - I'm starting to get that warm 'n' fuzzy feeling
    about it.

    I've read that as with other rebadged DELL printers, DELL makes a
    design change to it to limit you to buying consumables only from them
    and from what I've seen, their prices are fair so not an issue. What
    may be a problem is if they stop making the toner cartridges for them.
    Its still pretty easy to get a HP Laserjet III cartridge and its at
    least a 10 year old printer.

    Do you have any experience with the scanning quaility?

    Any comments about the software (PaperPort Deluxe 9) effectiveness?

    Any connectivity issues using the network card?

    TIA


    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:52:04 +0100, "The Hedonist"
    <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine copy
    >quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    >it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    >as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them not
    >sure on the price though - hope that helps
    >"jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    >news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    >> Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    >> fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
    >
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I'm also looking at this printer. Does the scanner "flip-up" so you
    can use it as a copier?

    Thanks!

    jp <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message news:<n29ed01n6o2noeprtepn100a0u7rdl5oao@4ax.com>...
    > Thanks for the info - I'm starting to get that warm 'n' fuzzy feeling
    > about it.
    >
    > I've read that as with other rebadged DELL printers, DELL makes a
    > design change to it to limit you to buying consumables only from them
    > and from what I've seen, their prices are fair so not an issue. What
    > may be a problem is if they stop making the toner cartridges for them.
    > Its still pretty easy to get a HP Laserjet III cartridge and its at
    > least a 10 year old printer.
    >
    > Do you have any experience with the scanning quaility?
    >
    > Any comments about the software (PaperPort Deluxe 9) effectiveness?
    >
    > Any connectivity issues using the network card?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    >
    >
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:52:04 +0100, "The Hedonist"
    > <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine copy
    > >quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    > >it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    > >as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them not
    > >sure on the price though - hope that helps
    > >"jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    > >news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    > >> Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    > >> fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
    > >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I was very disappointed to see that while the unit is a network
    printer, you can NOT use the scan or fax feature over the network.
    You must hook it directly up via a USB cable to a PC to use the scan
    or fax features. This was not made clear by Dell to me. I probally
    would not have purchased the unit had I realized that.

    RobTrueman@Technotects.com (Rob) wrote in message news:<27b50c74.0406241032.1d1dad6d@posting.google.com>...
    > I'm also looking at this printer. Does the scanner "flip-up" so you
    > can use it as a copier?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jp <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message news:<n29ed01n6o2noeprtepn100a0u7rdl5oao@4ax.com>...
    > > Thanks for the info - I'm starting to get that warm 'n' fuzzy feeling
    > > about it.
    > >
    > > I've read that as with other rebadged DELL printers, DELL makes a
    > > design change to it to limit you to buying consumables only from them
    > > and from what I've seen, their prices are fair so not an issue. What
    > > may be a problem is if they stop making the toner cartridges for them.
    > > Its still pretty easy to get a HP Laserjet III cartridge and its at
    > > least a 10 year old printer.
    > >
    > > Do you have any experience with the scanning quaility?
    > >
    > > Any comments about the software (PaperPort Deluxe 9) effectiveness?
    > >
    > > Any connectivity issues using the network card?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:52:04 +0100, "The Hedonist"
    > > <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine copy
    > > >quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    > > >it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    > > >as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them not
    > > >sure on the price though - hope that helps
    > > >"jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    > > >news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    > > >> Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    > > >> fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
    > > >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hmm, this is not good. Mine just arrived and it may have to be
    returned if this is the case.

    Have you tried contacting Dell about this?

    My alternative was a Brother 8420 (read the reviews on amazon.com) but
    its significantly more expensive, especially with the network card
    option.

    Are you happy with it otherwise?

    On 24 Jun 2004 19:17:36 -0700, david@amyndavid.com (David) wrote:

    >I was very disappointed to see that while the unit is a network
    >printer, you can NOT use the scan or fax feature over the network.
    >You must hook it directly up via a USB cable to a PC to use the scan
    >or fax features. This was not made clear by Dell to me. I probally
    >would not have purchased the unit had I realized that.
    >
    >RobTrueman@Technotects.com (Rob) wrote in message news:<27b50c74.0406241032.1d1dad6d@posting.google.com>...
    >> I'm also looking at this printer. Does the scanner "flip-up" so you
    >> can use it as a copier?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jp <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message news:<n29ed01n6o2noeprtepn100a0u7rdl5oao@4ax.com>...
    >> > Thanks for the info - I'm starting to get that warm 'n' fuzzy feeling
    >> > about it.
    >> >
    >> > I've read that as with other rebadged DELL printers, DELL makes a
    >> > design change to it to limit you to buying consumables only from them
    >> > and from what I've seen, their prices are fair so not an issue. What
    >> > may be a problem is if they stop making the toner cartridges for them.
    >> > Its still pretty easy to get a HP Laserjet III cartridge and its at
    >> > least a 10 year old printer.
    >> >
    >> > Do you have any experience with the scanning quaility?
    >> >
    >> > Any comments about the software (PaperPort Deluxe 9) effectiveness?
    >> >
    >> > Any connectivity issues using the network card?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:52:04 +0100, "The Hedonist"
    >> > <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > >This printer is actually a rebadged Samsung and is an excellant machine copy
    >> > >quality is very good and the machine is quite light, as well as the fact
    >> > >it's USB2 and netwrkable and dedicated fax line in. Downsides are the fact
    >> > >as with all Dell printers you have to buy the toner cartridges from them not
    >> > >sure on the price though - hope that helps
    >> > >"jp" <jp at nospam dot net> wrote in message
    >> > >news:373kc0lh02i6nv2h8tur75s35fbn4v8tfs@4ax.com...
    >> > >> Has anyone tried the new Dell 1600n all-in-one laser printer scanner
    >> > >> fax copier? impressions? output quality? ease of use? TIA
    >> > >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    As with all printer the real thing to consider is cost if you are
    unable to figure out which samsung printer this then you are stuck
    paying Dell $70 for 3k pages (2.3 cents/page) and $80 for 5k pages
    (1.6 cents/page). Take a look at these printers for a comparison
    Brother 9700 (1.548 cents/page), 8440 (1.61 cent/page). While they
    don't come with a built in network connection you can buy a USB
    ethernet adaptor/server for about $100 if you need this functionality.
    Good luck.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    htollefson@gmail.com (HT) wrote in message news:<57b50dff.0406291149.7a6cb84b@posting.google.com>...
    > As with all printer the real thing to consider is cost if you are
    > unable to figure out which samsung printer this then you are stuck
    > paying Dell $70 for 3k pages (2.3 cents/page) and $80 for 5k pages
    > (1.6 cents/page). Take a look at these printers for a comparison
    > Brother 9700 (1.548 cents/page), 8440 (1.61 cent/page). While they
    > don't come with a built in network connection you can buy a USB
    > ethernet adaptor/server for about $100 if you need this functionality.
    > Good luck.

    I was able to get the Brother MFC-8420 for about $360 after rebates
    through Dell. This was during the beginning of May. I bought the
    printer for $439 and they had a 10% special off peripherals that week.
    Combined with the rebate, I thought it was a pretty good deal. They
    don't sell that model anymore, but they do have the MFC-8440 for $449
    now.

    This printer is very good for mixed environments. It is connected and
    shared through my Windows machine. I am able to print from my Mac
    perfectly and from my Windows machine it also works well. The only
    downside is that network scanning, faxing, and copying only works on
    Windows machines (and only if you have the optional network card).
    When attached to a computer these functions are very polished. Windows
    also supports 4 different modes for scanning (which you can assign to
    different applications). I find myself only using one of these.

    Network printing through the card seems to be possible, but as I don't
    own the card, I cannot say. I do plan to purchase it in the future
    though.

    Originally, I was also in the same boat deciding what multifunction
    machine to get, and it was either between Brother or Samsung (which as
    stated as above - makes the Dell 1600n). I was able to try out the
    Samsung at Best Buy and it just felt really flimsy and cheap. Also the
    fact that scanning and copying wasn't supported on the Mac was also a
    negative point.

    If Dell runs any more of these deals in the future, I wouldn't
    hesitate to suggest getting one of these printers. I have great
    admiration for the quality of the product, both hardware and software.
    I had no trouble getting it up and running and it has served me well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Fax Laser Printer Scanners Computers