Sign in with
Your question

Is it still possible to clean install with upgrade media?

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 8:37:11 PM

I'm quite keen to change my XP system to 7 and was planning to go the cheap route by using the upgrade disc. However I'm not sure if I can do a clean install that is required for XP after reading a couple of contradicting articles on software4students.

On the one hand they give an article on how its possible and legal:

On the other hand they say this on the product page for the 7 upgrade media:

"Please Note: changes to UK release of Microsoft Windows 7

Software4Students ask all our customers to please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that we have is as follows:

This version of Windows 7 ships as an upgrade edition. It is NOT possible or permitted to perform a clean install with this product. You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk. All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard"

I've been in touch with software4students and they've sent me some rubbish standard email that doesn't answer my questions.

So, can I still install upgrade 7 on a blank HDD???
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 9:31:29 PM

You cannot upgrade XP to Win7, at the Win7 install screen you must choose a "custom install," and then Win7 will perform a clean install on your HDD.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 16, 2010 5:39:58 PM

I was going to give you the same resource the Badge did (print it and reference it during the install). You cannot "upgrade" from XP to Windows 7. You will need to do a custom installation (also known as a clean installation) meaning that your files, programs, and setting will not be saved. Make sure to back up to an external hard drive before beginning the installation.

Also, I recommend running the Windows Upgrade Advisor. It will scan your computer and give recommendations for you to make (if there are any) before moving from XP to Windows 7. The Upgrade Advisor is found here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/up....

Hope you enjoy Windows 7!

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 16, 2010 6:27:53 PM

Thanks for your relies so far guys.

I understand that I cannot upgrade XP to 7, I guess what I said before may have been a little misconstrued.

What I really want to know is, can I install Windows 7 using upgrade media discs rather than the full retail package which costs a hella lot more. Being a student, i'm always looking after the pennies!

There seems to be some confusion on the software4students site regarding this and they ain't much help in resolving my problem with their dumb standardised emails.

I'm sure you whizzkids will be more help than they were.

Thanks again folks!
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2010 8:36:23 PM

As a student you can get Windows 7 at a discounted price of $64.95! Read through the official information found at http://www.win741.com/ to make sure you are eligible. You will need to have a valid e-mail address from an educational institution ending with the domain suffix .EDU.

If you are eligible, jump on it! It's a great deal!

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
!