Dell & AMD CPUs

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2004 1:08:33 PM

Why does Dell not offer the option of AMD CPUs in their
machines? They probably have an agreement with Intel
whereby they get discounted chips if they sell Intel
exclusively.

However, it's not an Intel only world. If Dell offered
AMD, I'd be buying a second machine right now. I see
Compaq offers both Intel and AMD. From a consumer
perspective, more choice is a good thing.

Let's hope AMD will be an option in the future!

Buck

More about : dell amd cpus

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2004 1:08:34 PM

Can't see it ever happening. No need, from Dell's point of view.
"Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
> Why does Dell not offer the option of AMD CPUs in their
> machines? They probably have an agreement with Intel
> whereby they get discounted chips if they sell Intel
> exclusively.
>
> However, it's not an Intel only world. If Dell offered
> AMD, I'd be buying a second machine right now. I see
> Compaq offers both Intel and AMD. From a consumer
> perspective, more choice is a good thing.
>
> Let's hope AMD will be an option in the future!
>
> Buck
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2004 1:08:34 PM

In article <2iusbiFrfl7aU1@uni-berlin.de>, who@cares.com.au says...
> Why does Dell not offer the option of AMD CPUs in their
> machines? They probably have an agreement with Intel
> whereby they get discounted chips if they sell Intel
> exclusively.
>
> However, it's not an Intel only world. If Dell offered
> AMD, I'd be buying a second machine right now. I see
> Compaq offers both Intel and AMD. From a consumer
> perspective, more choice is a good thing.
>
> Let's hope AMD will be an option in the future!
>
> Buck

Agreed - they should offer both.
--
Cheers!

Jan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2004 1:08:34 PM

Buck Rogers wrote:

> Why does Dell not offer the option of AMD CPUs in their
> machines? They probably have an agreement with Intel
> whereby they get discounted chips if they sell Intel
> exclusively.
>
> However, it's not an Intel only world. If Dell offered
> AMD, I'd be buying a second machine right now. I see
> Compaq offers both Intel and AMD. From a consumer
> perspective, more choice is a good thing.
>
> Let's hope AMD will be an option in the future!

It's a business decision. Dell seems to be deeply in bed with Intel, so
I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding AMD chips.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2004 1:08:35 PM

"Jan Lavallee" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <2iusbiFrfl7aU1@uni-berlin.de>, who@cares.com.au says...
> > Why does Dell not offer the option of AMD CPUs in their
> > machines? They probably have an agreement with Intel
> > whereby they get discounted chips if they sell Intel
> > exclusively.
> >
> > However, it's not an Intel only world. If Dell offered
> > AMD, I'd be buying a second machine right now. I see
> > Compaq offers both Intel and AMD. From a consumer
> > perspective, more choice is a good thing.
> >
> > Let's hope AMD will be an option in the future!
> >
> > Buck
> >
> Agreed - they should offer both.

There is no fanatical reason for them to offer both.

--

Rob
!