Sync to Palms w/1 Palm Desktop user, regularly

December 9, 2004 7:00:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Is there any easy way to have 2 Palms and 1 Palm Desktop user all synced?
The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files from one directory to
the other and back again, and I don't know how it handles the UI prefs. or
if it's even a good idea to do regularly. If you look inside a DB file
it'll say the username it's from, maybe not a good thing. Anybody know
anything about this?
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:08:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in
news:p 2phr05t2injj22pklj4rg5rbclh2ebb9i@4ax.com:

> Is there any easy way to have 2 Palms and 1 Palm Desktop user all
> synced? The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files from one
> directory to the other and back again, and I don't know how it handles
> the UI prefs. or if it's even a good idea to do regularly. If you
> look inside a DB file it'll say the username it's from, maybe not a
> good thing. Anybody know anything about this?

Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
The desktop keeps everything separate for you.

--
Regards,

Stan
December 10, 2004 10:00:38 AM

On 10 Dec 2004 02:08:23 GMT, Stan Gosnell wrote:

>> The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files . . .
>> If you look inside a DB file it'll say the username it's from,
>> maybe not a good thing. Anybody know anything about this?
>
> Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
> as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
> The desktop keeps everything separate for you.

It will *probably* work, but those copied data files don't just
contain the the data file's original username, but the full paths
that the data files were copied from. For example, starting at the
sixth byte of my ADDRESS.DAT is:

> d:\windows\Palm\NameUser\memopad\memopad.dat

Will this ever cause a problem, such as during hotsyncs? I don't
know, but Murphy probably does. :)
December 12, 2004 9:49:28 PM

On 10 Dec 2004 02:08:23 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Is there any easy way to have 2 Palms and 1 Palm Desktop user all
>> synced? The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files from one
>> directory to the other and back again, and I don't know how it handles
>> the UI prefs. or if it's even a good idea to do regularly. If you
>> look inside a DB file it'll say the username it's from, maybe not a
>> good thing. Anybody know anything about this?
>
>Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
>as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
>The desktop keeps everything separate for you.

Maybe I didn't explain right, that's the problem!
I don't WANT them separate. I want them all synced to the same basic PIM
data, but not same apps. as they run diff. OS's, and one's not even color.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:49:30 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:00:38 GMT, BillB <rainbose@earthlink.newt> spewed:

>On 10 Dec 2004 02:08:23 GMT, Stan Gosnell wrote:
>
>>> The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files . . .
>>> If you look inside a DB file it'll say the username it's from,
>>> maybe not a good thing. Anybody know anything about this?
>>
>> Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
>> as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
>> The desktop keeps everything separate for you.
>
> It will *probably* work, but those copied data files don't just
>contain the the data file's original username, but the full paths
>that the data files were copied from. For example, starting at the
>sixth byte of my ADDRESS.DAT is:
>
>> d:\windows\Palm\NameUser\memopad\memopad.dat
>
> Will this ever cause a problem, such as during hotsyncs? I don't
>know, but Murphy probably does. :)

Heheh, or Dan (me). If it can screw up, it will screw up for me.
That said, so far it seems to work. But, it's a massive pain in the ass.
If I'm going back and forth between one Palm and the other, but the same
computer, and I want all the PIM data synced, I'm always copying stuff
back and forth and if I do it enough I AM pretty worried that something
will get screwed up. Doing it the main to the backup, but NOT back
doesn't worry me because I just over-write. But it makes it so I can't
enter and preserve anything on that backup palm and get it back to the
Desktop and the other palm.

Damn, there's got to be some prog. to do this, or a better way. Isn't
there?!
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:00:11 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:49:28 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid had this to say...

> On 10 Dec 2004 02:08:23 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
> >> Is there any easy way to have 2 Palms and 1 Palm Desktop user all
> >> synced? The only way I know is to manually copy the DB files from one
> >> directory to the other and back again, and I don't know how it handles
> >> the UI prefs. or if it's even a good idea to do regularly. If you
> >> look inside a DB file it'll say the username it's from, maybe not a
> >> good thing. Anybody know anything about this?
> >
> >Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
> >as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
> >The desktop keeps everything separate for you.
>
> Maybe I didn't explain right, that's the problem!
> I don't WANT them separate. I want them all synced to the same basic PIM
> data, but not same apps. as they run diff. OS's, and one's not even color.
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Recox will do exactly this <http://www.palmobil.de/recox/&gt;

There are three or four others, google for 'palm sync multiple users'.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:49:30 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> Doing it the main to the backup, but NOT back
> doesn't worry me because I just over-write. But it makes it so I can't
> enter and preserve anything on that backup palm and get it back to the
> Desktop and the other palm.

I do that too, using two Palms. I have a bit of extra protection
(multiple CF card backups on both PDAs) and almost all entered data
is on the primary Palm. On the rare occasions that I enter
something on the secondary Palm, I try to remember to make it easy
to locate (such as by placing it in a unique category). Then before
the next hotsync, I beam a record or two from the secondary to the
primary Palm.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:54:38 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:16:29 GMT, BillB <rainbose@earthlink.newt> spewed:
>> Doing it the main to the backup, but NOT back
>> doesn't worry me because I just over-write. But it makes it so I can't
>> enter and preserve anything on that backup palm and get it back to the
>> Desktop and the other palm.
>
> I do that too, using two Palms. I have a bit of extra protection
>(multiple CF card backups on both PDAs) and almost all entered data
>is on the primary Palm. On the rare occasions that I enter
>something on the secondary Palm, I try to remember to make it easy
>to locate (such as by placing it in a unique category). Then before
>the next hotsync, I beam a record or two from the secondary to the
>primary Palm.

Glad to see I'm not the only one relegated to that! :)
Good idea on the diff. category and beaming.
Sure wish they'd come up with a way to synch multiple Palms to the same
User though :(

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
January 15, 2005 7:24:44 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:54:38 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>Glad to see I'm not the only one relegated to that! :)
>Good idea on the diff. category and beaming.
>Sure wish they'd come up with a way to synch multiple Palms to the same
>User though :(

It's easy. Set all the units to the same user name. Once done, sync
the "original" unit to the desktop, then edit the Hotsync conditions
so that the desktop overwrites the "new" unit(s). Once you have all
the Palm devices and the desktop "on the same page" as it were,
re-configure the Hotsync conditions on the desktop to syncronize and
any of the units that are docked will update the desktop and anything
"new" on the desktop will be transfered to the Palm device.
Look on the web for utilities to support name management, or just do a
hard reset on any unit you intend to rename.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:40:31 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:24:44 GMT, Squirrel spewed:
>>Glad to see I'm not the only one relegated to that! :)
>>Good idea on the diff. category and beaming.
>>Sure wish they'd come up with a way to synch multiple Palms to the same
>>User though :(
>
>It's easy. Set all the units to the same user name. Once done, sync
>the "original" unit to the desktop, then edit the Hotsync conditions
>so that the desktop overwrites the "new" unit(s). Once you have all
>the Palm devices and the desktop "on the same page" as it were,
>re-configure the Hotsync conditions on the desktop to syncronize and
>any of the units that are docked will update the desktop and anything
>"new" on the desktop will be transfered to the Palm device.
>Look on the web for utilities to support name management, or just do a
>hard reset on any unit you intend to rename.

That's what I've done in the past, but that screws me up if I DON'T want
the same apps installed (or synced if they have a conduit), or even worse
if I do but they're different versions on each Palm. Nasty conflicts, of
which I've got more than I can stand already!
Plus, I think it can mess you up (albeit rarely) if the UID #'s aren't the
same. I've even tried changing them with ChangeUser, but that's screwed
things up itself, so I put em back.

I'll check out Recox that was suggested, will report back :)

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:50:43 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:00:11 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> spewed:

>> >Just sync them using different hotsync names. You can sync as many Palms
>> >as you like to the same desktop, as long as they have different names.
>> >The desktop keeps everything separate for you.
>>
>> Maybe I didn't explain right, that's the problem!
>> I don't WANT them separate. I want them all synced to the same basic PIM
>> data, but not same apps. as they run diff. OS's, and one's not even color.

>Recox will do exactly this <http://www.palmobil.de/recox/&gt;
>
>There are three or four others, google for 'palm sync multiple users'.

Well, that turned out about 250000 hits, and none that I plodded thru
seemed to be what I'm looking for :(  Do you remember any of the names of
any of them?

Recox didn't do it exactly either, but better than nothing. It requires
beaming between devices to sync, then on of the to PC.
I'm trying to find one that will let 3 different Palms all sync to the
same Username in Palm Desktop, but ONLY the PIM data, still having
discrete installed apps and their data.

I just can't believe this doesn't exist, since I've seen many Palm users
in this group alone talk about owning more than one Palm. I'm sure they
don't want different address books, datebooks, etc. on each one and would
like them synchronized painlessly like I do. Ah well I guess.
Hopefully Recox will do it, albeit a with a little more hassle. Sure will
beat manually copying from each username's directory.

Oh, I should mention I did find one "service" that will do it forcing each
Palm to access the web and then sync with the others that way.
Personally, I won't use those type fixes as I just don't trust my private
date flowing thru a web service conduit, and CERTAINLY not unencrypted.
But if anybody reading this is interested, it's WeSync.com.
!