Is it safe to spray rubbing alcohol on crt menu buttons?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
My crt menu keeps popping up and so does the button that reduces things. This is annoying because the button with the minus sign is for the contrast and it decreases the contrast to 0. So before i send it to a repair shop and get ripped off i wanna make sure that there's no water or other liquid or something else causing the problem, if i send it directly to the repair shop the guy without checking will sax that board will need to be replaced and charge heavily, this is india for you. So i wanted to know is it safe to spray rubbing alcohol on the buttons and/or dry with a hair drier or should i just send it for repair? I don't wan't to buy a new monitor right now as i already bought new stuff and am low on cash. Please help. Don't want to further damage my monitor as well.

you are able to tell if the board was water damaged even if a person tries to hide the fact. sometimes electronics even have stickers inside them which change color when they meet liquid.

using a hair dryer won't help. you already have a problem and the liquid (if there was any) would be already dry by now.

using 100% alcohol might help clean gunk off of switches and the like if this is what is causing the problem but you would have to have everything apart to determine if this is why you are having trouble. i wouldnt just go spraying it in as it wont likely do any good. i wouldnt recommend taking apart a crt unless you're qualified to since there are a few components inside that could hurt you.

most likely there is a problem with the circuit board the buttons attach to and not the individual buttons. this is most certainly the case if things change without warning (and without touching the buttons)

if however you touch the button but it continues to act like it is pressed, and you only have trouble when you push that particular button then perhaps the button is sticking.

----

short answer: if you are tech saavy you could investigate it yourself. if you are not, take it to a shop. you aren't likely to hide anything from a knowledgeable tech. in any case, if you are already paying for the repair (if its not under warranty) why would the tech care if it was water damage? you are going to get charged the same to replace the part no matter what the cause.