Administrator's log in at welcome screen

I have a laptop using Windows XP Pro, SP2.

This laptop has been set up with one user log in, with administrative rights
and just shows that one name at the welcome screen.

Problem: The person who uses that log in has forgotten their password so can
not log in at the welcome screen. I know the administrators password but
because the welcome screen is displayed I can not select the administrator
as a user and use the administrator's password to log in.

Please can anyone tell me a way of logging in as the administrator and
gaining access to the system?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about administrator screen

    In news:OoBpdQavFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Shane Nation <Shane@nation22.freeserve.co.uk> had this to say:

    > I have a laptop using Windows XP Pro, SP2.
    >

    > This laptop has been set up with one user log in, with administrative
    > rights and just shows that one name at the welcome screen.
    >

    > Problem: The person who uses that log in has forgotten their password
    > so can not log in at the welcome screen. I know the administrators
    > password but because the welcome screen is displayed I can not select
    > the administrator as a user and use the administrator's password to
    > log in.
    >

    > Please can anyone tell me a way of logging in as the administrator and
    > gaining access to the system?
    >

    > Thanks

    Log on via safe mode without networking.

    Safe Mode :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Try,at starting computer tap the F6 key,select safe-mode,then enter xp as
    administrator.You can then open users,select the user with password problems,
    change or select no password,then create one they can remember....

    Shane Nation wrote:
    > I have a laptop using Windows XP Pro, SP2.
    >

    > This laptop has been set up with one user log in, with administrative
    > rights and just shows that one name at the welcome screen.
    >

    > Problem: The person who uses that log in has forgotten their password
    > so can not log in at the welcome screen. I know the administrators
    > password but because the welcome screen is displayed I can not select
    > the administrator as a user and use the administrator's password to
    > log in.

    Ignore all the comments about booting into safe mode etc etc. As you have
    Pro, at the Welcome screen, just press Ctl-Alt-Del twice and the W2K style
    log-in box will appear. Just type in "administrator" in the username box,
    and your password in the password box.

    Thank you!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Shane Nation wrote:
    >> I have a laptop using Windows XP Pro, SP2.
    >>

    >> This laptop has been set up with one user log in, with administrative
    >> rights and just shows that one name at the welcome screen.
    >>

    >> Problem: The person who uses that log in has forgotten their password
    >> so can not log in at the welcome screen. I know the administrators
    >> password but because the welcome screen is displayed I can not select
    >> the administrator as a user and use the administrator's password to
    >> log in.
    >
    > Ignore all the comments about booting into safe mode etc etc. As you have
    > Pro, at the Welcome screen, just press Ctl-Alt-Del twice and the W2K style
    > log-in box will appear. Just type in "administrator" in the username box,
    > and your password in the password box.

    Thank you very much, I will use Ctr Alt Del.
    Out of interest will this work with XP Home?

    Shane wrote:
    > Thank you very much, I will use Ctr Alt Del.
    > Out of interest will this work with XP Home?

    No. THAT needs the boot into safe mode........

Laptops Login Windows XP