URGENT- Invalid Code- Retail XP Home Upgrade (last day to ..

I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- Retail. for one of our two homebuilt
PCs,
that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to return
it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
clear that they would replace it.) I bought it from an office super store.
It looks factory sealed to me. CD looks fine. I attempted a clean install,
as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)

If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
re-install it.

I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
regarding it's virus checker and others.

Short of a defective CD or CD-ROM drive, I don't know what is the problem. I
haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. My
luck, for testing, it might be
just this old PC being problematic.Maybe when the PC is upgraded it might be
fine, but who knows.

Maybe a typo on the ID sticker. Maybe I need a new key? How is the wait time
with MS phones?

It could be faster then 'chatting' with the vendor, preparing this one for
shipping, and mailing it back.

Thanks,
QZ
2 answers Last reply
More about urgent invalid code retail home upgrade last

    First, on official Microsoft Retail kits of Windows XP, the CD Key is not
    on a sticker but printed on a label stuck on the back of the media folder.
    If you got an XP install CD with just a sticker then you have an OEM
    version. If the CD Key is stated to be invalid, return it since this seems
    to be a bogus kit. If the store is not willing to exchange/replace/refund
    it, you "could" file a complaint with Microsoft as part of the Piracy
    policy.

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:BLmdnTgwP_mwP7LeRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
    >I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- Retail. for one of our two homebuilt
    > PCs,
    > that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to
    > return
    > it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
    > clear that they would replace it.) I bought it from an office super store.
    > It looks factory sealed to me. CD looks fine. I attempted a clean install,
    > as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)
    >
    > If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
    > activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
    > re-install it.
    >
    > I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
    > about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
    > even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
    > regarding it's virus checker and others.
    >
    > Short of a defective CD or CD-ROM drive, I don't know what is the problem.
    > haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. My
    > luck, for testing, it might be
    > just this old PC being problematic.Maybe when the PC is upgraded it might
    > be
    > fine, but who knows.
    >
    > Maybe a typo on the ID sticker. Maybe I need a new key? How is the wait
    > time
    > with MS phones?
    >
    > It could be faster then 'chatting' with the vendor, preparing this one for
    > shipping, and mailing it back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > QZ

    Look, I appreciate you trying to help, but when I say the key is on a
    sticker, I am referring to the sticker (or you call it a label) on the back
    of the media folder of the *Retail* kit.
    Can a retail kit from an office super store be bogus?
    What would be your advice now?
    Techincally, they say open software can't be returned. But, I wonder if it
    is just an oversite, that they don't mention replacing defective software,
    like all other chain stores do.

    I am trying to go the simplest route first. Maybe: try MS for another key.
    Ask to return kit to store. If not, the CD needs to be replaced, I guess.
    I wonder if the CD-ROM drive is defective, like maybe it isn't correctly
    drive's utility. Am I missing something?
    This is frustrating, I didn't even get my components yet; when I do, I will
    have to re-install, and then activate, if I can get this fixed.

    *Also, maybe someone had this error before, and the problem was not
    something listed on MS's support site?*

    Thanks

CD-Rom Windows XP