URGENT- Invalid Code- Retail XP Home Upgrade (last day to ..

September 20, 2005 5:46:29 AM

I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- Retail. for one of our two homebuilt
PCs,
that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to return
it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
clear that they would replace it.) I bought it from an office super store.
It looks factory sealed to me. CD looks fine. I attempted a clean install,
as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)

If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
re-install it.

I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
regarding it's virus checker and others.

Short of a defective CD or CD-ROM drive, I don't know what is the problem. I
haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. My
luck, for testing, it might be
just this old PC being problematic.Maybe when the PC is upgraded it might be
fine, but who knows.

Maybe a typo on the ID sticker. Maybe I need a new key? How is the wait time
with MS phones?

It could be faster then 'chatting' with the vendor, preparing this one for
shipping, and mailing it back.

Thanks,
QZ
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:03:43 PM

First, on official Microsoft Retail kits of Windows XP, the CD Key is not
on a sticker but printed on a label stuck on the back of the media folder.
If you got an XP install CD with just a sticker then you have an OEM
version. If the CD Key is stated to be invalid, return it since this seems
to be a bogus kit. If the store is not willing to exchange/replace/refund
it, you "could" file a complaint with Microsoft as part of the Piracy
policy.

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:BLmdnTgwP_mwP7LeRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- Retail. for one of our two homebuilt
> PCs,
> that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to
> return
> it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
> clear that they would replace it.) I bought it from an office super store.
> It looks factory sealed to me. CD looks fine. I attempted a clean install,
> as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)
>
> If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
> activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
> re-install it.
>
> I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
> about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
> even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
> regarding it's virus checker and others.
>
> Short of a defective CD or CD-ROM drive, I don't know what is the problem.
> haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. My
> luck, for testing, it might be
> just this old PC being problematic.Maybe when the PC is upgraded it might
> be
> fine, but who knows.
>
> Maybe a typo on the ID sticker. Maybe I need a new key? How is the wait
> time
> with MS phones?
>
> It could be faster then 'chatting' with the vendor, preparing this one for
> shipping, and mailing it back.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:28:40 PM

Look, I appreciate you trying to help, but when I say the key is on a
sticker, I am referring to the sticker (or you call it a label) on the back
of the media folder of the *Retail* kit.
Can a retail kit from an office super store be bogus?
What would be your advice now?
Techincally, they say open software can't be returned. But, I wonder if it
is just an oversite, that they don't mention replacing defective software,
like all other chain stores do.

I am trying to go the simplest route first. Maybe: try MS for another key.
Ask to return kit to store. If not, the CD needs to be replaced, I guess.
I wonder if the CD-ROM drive is defective, like maybe it isn't correctly
drive's utility. Am I missing something?
This is frustrating, I didn't even get my components yet; when I do, I will
have to re-install, and then activate, if I can get this fixed.

*Also, maybe someone had this error before, and the problem was not
something listed on MS's support site?*

Thanks

!