Excruciatingly slow startup after SP2

I have noticed that on both my computers (Dell desktop with XP Home and IBM
Laptop with XP Pro), the start-up process has slowed remarkably after SP2
was installed. On my laptop, it now takes almost 4 minutes from the time the
login password is entered until the startup process is completed!

Is this normal with SP2 and how can the process be accelerated?
2 answers Last reply
More about excruciatingly slow startup

    Here is one suggestion see if this helps. I did hear of this issue with SP2
    installed although that was an issue with long logon times when logging into
    Windows XP SP2 with a Domain account. Not sure if that is the case here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832161

    But try setting your Event Viewer so that Events are overwritten as
    necssaary. For each of the type of events you right-click and choose
    Properties. Then you will see the options. To get to the Event Viewer
    easily go to the Control Panel | Choose Classic View | Administrator Tools |
    Event Viewer.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote in message
    > I have noticed that on both my computers (Dell desktop with XP Home and
    IBM
    > Laptop with XP Pro), the start-up process has slowed remarkably after SP2
    > was installed. On my laptop, it now takes almost 4 minutes from the time
    the
    > login password is entered until the startup process is completed!
    >
    > Is this normal with SP2 and how can the process be accelerated?

    I have exactly the same slow startup problem. It takes over 4 minutes before
    my PC is fully operational. Nobody seems to know how this can be solved...

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Here is one suggestion see if this helps. I did hear of this issue with
    > SP2
    > installed although that was an issue with long logon times when logging
    > into
    > Windows XP SP2 with a Domain account. Not sure if that is the case here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832161
    >
    > But try setting your Event Viewer so that Events are overwritten as
    > necssaary. For each of the type of events you right-click and choose
    > Properties. Then you will see the options. To get to the Event Viewer
    > easily go to the Control Panel | Choose Classic View | Administrator Tools
    > |
    > Event Viewer.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > "Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote in message
    >> I have noticed that on both my computers (Dell desktop with XP Home and
    > IBM
    >> Laptop with XP Pro), the start-up process has slowed remarkably after SP2
    >> was installed. On my laptop, it now takes almost 4 minutes from the time
    > the
    >> login password is entered until the startup process is completed!
    >>
    >> Is this normal with SP2 and how can the process be accelerated?

Slow Startup Windows XP