Excruciatingly slow startup after SP2

September 20, 2005 3:07:31 AM

I have noticed that on both my computers (Dell desktop with XP Home and IBM
Laptop with XP Pro), the start-up process has slowed remarkably after SP2
was installed. On my laptop, it now takes almost 4 minutes from the time the
login password is entered until the startup process is completed!

Is this normal with SP2 and how can the process be accelerated?
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:13:46 AM

Here is one suggestion see if this helps. I did hear of this issue with SP2
installed although that was an issue with long logon times when logging into
Windows XP SP2 with a Domain account. Not sure if that is the case here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832161

But try setting your Event Viewer so that Events are overwritten as
necssaary. For each of the type of events you right-click and choose
Properties. Then you will see the options. To get to the Event Viewer
easily go to the Control Panel | Choose Classic View | Administrator Tools |
Event Viewer.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> I have noticed that on both my computers (Dell desktop with XP Home and
IBM
> Laptop with XP Pro), the start-up process has slowed remarkably after SP2
> was installed. On my laptop, it now takes almost 4 minutes from the time
the
> login password is entered until the startup process is completed!
>
> Is this normal with SP2 and how can the process be accelerated?

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:29:45 PM

I have exactly the same slow startup problem. It takes over 4 minutes before
my PC is fully operational. Nobody seems to know how this can be solved...

!