KoRn_quebecois

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003
Hi
what are the differences with all these sockets?
what is a socket?
socket 478, socket 423, socket 974 ...
thanks

Metal Music Is My Religion And I Am Not A Terrorist.

endyen

Splendid
The "socket" is where you plug the cpu into. Different sockets support different chips. Socket 423 was the original socket for P4 chips. It lasted several weeks. Since then, P4 has used socket 478.
Socket 754 was the original socket for A64 chips. Socket 939 is the new socket for FX and A64 chips.
Intel is about to come out with a new type of socket.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
what are the differences with all these sockets?
what is a socket?
Salut Korn,

Le socket est l'endroit où tu installes le processeur sur une carte mère. Différents "socket" existent pour différentes raisons. Premièrement, il y a le nombre de "pins" nécessaire pour un parler avec le chipset et la mémoire. Par exemple, les Athlon 64 ont un contrôleur mémoire intégré, donc, ils ont besoin de plus de "pins" d'où l'introduction des Socket754/939/940 de la part d'AMD pour remplacer le SocketA. Il y aussi la "largeur" des BUS. C'est à dire le nombre de voies entre les différentes composantes. Par exemple, un BUS de 32bits de large nécessite au moins 32 pins. Etc...

Back to english! It's good to see another "French Frog" on this forum! Welcome and I wish you will like Korn for a long time, since it's your Nick! :smile: By the way I live near Montreal.

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
French is cool!. Gotta love the country that gave us Voltaire, Sartre, and Camus, not to mention where they bake some of the most delicious bread on earth, n'est-ce pas?

"If I owned this place and hell, I'd rent out this place and live in hell" - Toombs

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
French is cool!. Gotta love the country that gave us Voltaire, Sartre, and Camus
Actually, we are French Canadian... So we only provided the World amazing Hockey players and Celine Dion! :smile:

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
....Don't forget ATI.

"It's not like this is the first time Canada's been in trouble with the US, what about Bryan Adams?"

"Come now, the Canadian government has publicly apologized for Bryan Adams on numerous occasions".

-South Park

"If I owned this place and hell, I'd rent out this place and live in hell" - Toombs