Hi, this might seem like a silly question but even after all my time at
building pcs etc I have never really thought about how much disk space the
general installation takes up. My question is, does anyone know how much
space XP pro would take up?

My reason for asking is that I am now in a job where I have no rights or
control over my machine and a new build has taken up 20gb of space and there
is less than 1 gb of other apps installed so I am assuming the rest is OS?

Many thanks

Gordon

"Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Gordon, I thought that it was not going to be more than 4gb.
> Any idea as to where the rest of the space is going? Its a new
> machine within a work environment and has a standard xp pro sp2 build
> with less than a gig of apps installed. We have a virus checker and
> as its corporate I would have thought that all threats would be
> eliminated. Maybe I should ask the build team about domain rights?

Have you tried looking at the HDD in Windows Explorer with Hidden and System
files enabled to see what's there?

Cant really do much with the machine due to restrictions set, but after
speaking to our build team I think I have found out where the space is going.
It looks like all new desktops are coming with altiris for recovery. Thanks
for your help. Keith

> Cant really do much with the machine due to restrictions set, but
> after speaking to our build team I think I have found out where the
> space is going. It looks like all new desktops are coming with
> altiris for recovery.

But even that shouldn't be taking up *16GB* of space.......

I agree, but I am going to grin and bear it for the time being as they are in
the process of setting our team up with complete control over our machines.
Maybe they set the altiris allowance space too high? Anyway I cant check that
as I am powerless!! We will get control though (eventually) and I shall be
removing it. Then hopefully I can install and control everything in our test
environment without having to go to our helpdesk! Thanks for your help and
time though. Keith

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cant really do much with the machine due to restrictions set, but
> > after speaking to our build team I think I have found out where the
> > space is going. It looks like all new desktops are coming with
> > altiris for recovery.
>
> But even that shouldn't be taking up *16GB* of space.......

You might ask whether Altiris retains more backup copies than needed and
whether those no longer needed are /can be removed.

Windows XP also has System Restore. Has the system been stopped from
producing Restore Points. If not are older restore points being
regularly removed?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cant really do much with the machine due to restrictions set, but
> after
> speaking to our build team I think I have found out where the space is
> going.
> It looks like all new desktops are coming with altiris for recovery.
> Thanks
> for your help. Keith
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Gordon, I thought that it was not going to be more than 4gb.
>> > Any idea as to where the rest of the space is going? Its a new
>> > machine within a work environment and has a standard xp pro sp2
>> > build
>> > with less than a gig of apps installed. We have a virus checker and
>> > as its corporate I would have thought that all threats would be
>> > eliminated. Maybe I should ask the build team about domain rights?
>> >

>> Have you tried looking at the HDD in Windows Explorer with Hidden and
>> System
>> files enabled to see what's there?

Hi Gerry, thanks for response. The machine had never been used and I was the
first to use it so there should not have been much going on with regards to
system restore. Our team has requested that we get full control of our
machines and servers so that we can develop, asking IT support here is a bit
like using a chocolate fireguard! Just wait now until we get given the
power!! lol Cheers, Keith

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> You might ask whether Altiris retains more backup copies than needed and
> whether those no longer needed are /can be removed.
>
> Windows XP also has System Restore. Has the system been stopped from
> producing Restore Points. If not are older restore points being
> regularly removed?
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cant really do much with the machine due to restrictions set, but
> > after
> > speaking to our build team I think I have found out where the space is
> > going.
> > It looks like all new desktops are coming with altiris for recovery.
> > Thanks
> > for your help. Keith
> >
> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >
> >> "Chief Vinso" <ChiefVinso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Have you tried looking at the HDD in Windows Explorer with Hidden and
> >> System
> >> files enabled to see what's there?

TRENDING THREADS