Fat Partition Called Dellutility -- 32 Megs: What is it for?

lee

In backing up my C: drive on my Inspiron 8600 with Norton Ghost, I noticed a
32 Meg partition named *DellUtility* alongside my 38 Gig ntfs partition (WinXP
Partition). I was wondering what this *extra* partition is for, and if it is
necessary to my operating system.

--
"Fraudulently obtained unemployment compensation is fully taxable.
You report it on line 21 of Form 1040." -IRS Tax Guide

CUL8r -- Lee

www.sonic.net/~lkokot

--

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
-- Albert Camus

The DellUtility partition contains diagnostic software for your PC, and is installed at the factory. The software is also located on the Recovery CD, so if in the future, you choose to replace or repartition your HDD, you still have the ability to run the diagnostic software from the CD. The diagnostic software, requires a FAT32 partition.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Lee" <lkokot@sonic.net> wrote in message news:c9nkc01dqm0nstpmd2kerqctdt9veldie6@4ax.com...
In backing up my C: drive on my Inspiron 8600 with Norton Ghost, I noticed a
32 Meg partition named *DellUtility* alongside my 38 Gig ntfs partition (WinXP
Partition). I was wondering what this *extra* partition is for, and if it is
necessary to my operating system.

--
"Fraudulently obtained unemployment compensation is fully taxable.
You report it on line 21 of Form 1040." -IRS Tax Guide

CUL8r -- Lee

www.sonic.net/~lkokot

--

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
-- Albert Camus

lee

It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Sat, 12
Jun 2004 07:05:26 -0400 or thereabouts, "Rerat/Rich" <no.spam@isp.com> wrote
the following intercepted missive:

>The DellUtility partition contains diagnostic software for your PC, and is installed at the factory.
The software is also located on the Recovery CD, so if in the future, you
choose to replace or repartition your HDD, you still have the ability to run
the diagnostic software from the CD. The diagnostic software, requires a FAT32
partition.

Is there a way to assign a drive letter to this partition? When I try to do
this with the Computer management module, I don't get the expected popup menu
when I right click this partition?

My idea is to convert this partition into a fat16 partition and install some
dos stuff on it -- not to make it bootable (I can use Boot CD for this),. but
just a place to put programs, etc. Is this doable?

CUL8r -- Lee

www.sonic.net/~lkokot

--

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
-- Albert Camus

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:21:57 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Scales"
<tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>ctrl+alt+Del when you see the Dell logo at startup

Tom,

If I remember right, ctrl+alt+d runs the hard drive diagnostics built into
the BIOS; it's not related to the diagnostic program on the hard drive. The
program on disk includes more tests than the diagnostic built into the BIOS.
(If I remember right, the BIOS version checks mostly the hard drives, while
the program version includes tests for many types of hardware.)

The diagnostic on the hard drive is run from the command line, after booting
into MS-DOS (requires a floppy on newer operating systems), which is why it
has to be on a FAT partition; can't access NTFS from MS-DOS. I would look
for a readme or other instructions either in the utility partition, in the
manual, or on the CD-ROM.

It's been a while, so my memory may be rusty, but I'm almost positive that's
the way it worked the last time I used the diagnostics (BIOS version and
hard drive program version) on my Dimension 8100.

Also: there used to be (and probably still is) a downloadable version of the
diagnostic program on Dell's web site; last time I checked, that was more
recent than the one that came in the CD-ROM with my Dimension 8100. The
download page for that had instructions for running the diagnostic program.

BTW: in response to your other post:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:39:19 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Scales"
<tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Because I'm stupid.
>
>Ctril+Alt+D
>
>Not sure why I typed Del.

The first time I tried to use the BIOS diagnostics I couldn't get them work
until I had torn out large amounts of hair and repeatedly reread the
instructions. My fingers have been giving the three finger salute to
Microsoft OS's for too many years to be easily retrained. :)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Glen Rose" <grrose22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| Does anyone know the commands to use these utilities?

On my I8500 you press F12 during boot and choose "diagnostics" from the
resulting menu.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.