BIG CPU Cooling Problem

mastasnypa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Okay, I am making a system based on the amd64 3200+ processor. I am using the MSI nforce3 250 GB k8n Neo Platinum Motherboard. It seemed to be fine when I was setting up the bios and installing windows xp, but then I started installing other things (the temp. controller, digicell, winrar, etc.). It was about this time that the cool 'n' quiet control panel popped up and started flashing alarms at me telling me that the cpu was too hot. It was at about 85, so I set the bar higher and ignored it for the time being. A little while later (I think I was installing Direct x 9.0b) it came up with another temp warning telling me that the CPU was now above 90 degrees celcius and climbing. It stayed in the 93 degree range. I was worried, but continued on. When the windows updates were ready to install the warning continued, but the temperature climbed higher. The last number I saw before force quitting the windows update and shutting down the pc was 101 degrees celcius. Now since this is my first home-built system, I am not quite sure what is "normal" as far as CPU temps are concerned. For reference, I am using a thermaltake POLO heatsink and fan (which goes full speed ALL of the time, even with the temp. probe) and artic silver 5 thermal compound.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be air bubbles between the heatsink and cpu? Or is this normal for this particular chip? Thank you for any and all replies.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Woha.. that can't be right. check your temps in the BIOS, if they are similary high, its amazing the system didn't shut down and/or fry the cpu. There is no way an A64 would exceed 40°C iddle unless you the heatsink isnt making contact with the die.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mastasnypa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
I have checked it in the bios, same thing. I don't know what I did wrong with it, but I have heard that the K8N boards have trouble reading the temps correctly, is this right?

On a side note, everything seems to be stable, no problems to speak of yet. Could the temp probe be a big problem? (it is under the heat sink)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mastasnypa on 06/15/04 04:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I highly doubt if the heatsink's making contact, the clip is weird, but go through AMD's manual and carefully reinstall the heatsink. And no MSI's temp detection problem isn't big.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

mastasnypa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
I am not using AMD's heatsink. I guess I will try again tomorrow and reapply the artic silver. If that doesn't work, I will switch to the AMD heatsink and try my luck...

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
did you use the backplate that came with the cooler ? You should ! backplates arent interchangeble, even if they look similar.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =