buckmoy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hello

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a noob - so apologies in advance, and I really appreciate any help.

Just built my first PC - Gigabyte k8vnnxp board, AMD 3400+ processor, 2 gig of ram and a 160GB SATA hard drive, all wrapped up in an Antec p160 case. using an old graphics card until my x800 arrives. Anyway - all is running well and installed correctly.

The case has two thermal diodes running to an LCD on the front. The manual recommends attaching to hard drive and processor, but makes no mention of how this is done. My questions are this:

1) How do I attach thermal diodes and where

2) Is there a seperate way to obtain the processor temperature (perhaps built in to the motherboard and obtainable through BIOS) - obviously I'm not about to wedge a diode in between my heatsink and my processor.. but I'd like to know the temp the processor is running at.

Thanks again

John

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
How do I attach thermal diodes and where
You can simply use tape! Not the best way to do it, but it works. If you stick it to your HDD, stick it to a metal surface.

If you can find "conductive glue", it will work too. But, you must ensure you have a GOOD contact with a metal sorface.

Personnaly, I find these thing useless, unless you do lot of overclocking.

but I'd like to know the temp the processor is running at.
Your motherboard probably came with a CD with a monitoring software on it. You can also install Motherboard Monitor which is a complete and good monitor software. It could be more user-friendly, but it's not that hard to get use to it.

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

buckmoy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
tape??!!

inside my lovely new PC?

Ah well - if needs must.

Overclocking is a realm I'd like to (carefully) explore at some point in the future.

Many thanks for the pointers TheRod - heres hoping I don't blow myself up fixing these diodes on.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You might also try HOT GLUE. If you have an HOT GLUE gun, this might work too.

But, frankly why would you bother with your HDD temperature, if your PC case temperature (all today's motherboard have an ambiant temp. sensor) is not very high, your HDD will stay "cool" and even if your HDD get a bit hot for you, will you buy a HDD cooler?

All these gadget are tergeted to case modder and extreme overclocker's. Most of the time the CPU temperature is the reference you need. Because if your CPU gets too hot, every components inside your case will get HOT. The CPU is 95% of the time the HOTTEST component in your PC case.

A good thing would be to glue one of your DIODE to your GPU heatsink. This might help to overclock your GPU.

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...