Sign in with
Your question

$2-300 23-24" Gaming Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 12, 2011 7:57:18 AM

Buying my first computer and I'm looking for a good monitor... without further ado here's the template thingy:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week, or the next, hopefully.

Budget Range: $200 - $300 AUD

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, watching videos... you know.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: These two: MSY and CPL. Prices are in AUD already.

Country of Origin: Australia, although the stores above are local so shipping etc. doesn't matter.

Brand Preferences: No preferences.

Physical Size (Diagonal): 23"-24" is apparently the commonly agreed best size, as far as I'm aware. Feel free to suggest otherwise.

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: Higher the better, whatever's generally a good one for the size.

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: Just the one gaming computer, although I don't know what input/output I'll have since I'll be buying this monitor alongside the rest.

Panel Type(s) Desired: Don't really have a preference for this one - if you can get an S-IPS/H-IPS monitor for this price then go for it.

LED Backlight: Strongly desired, although I'd prefer to avoid the low end blue tinge that I've heard about.

Speakers: Desired - they don't have to be fantastic speakers, they'd just be for when I can't be bothered plugging in headphones or when I want someone else to hear something (i.e. rarely). If it doesn't have speakers, recommend it anyway because it's not a dealbreaker.

Wall-Mount: Meh. Would prefer not.

Stand Functions: Tilt adjustment at least, and height would be nice. All the rest is optional.

Baaaasically I'm looking for the best gaming monitor for the price.

Also, bonus points: I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard that's relatively ergonomic and comfortable for cheap from the same suppliers.

Cheers.

More about : 300 gaming monitor

a b 4 Gaming
a c 78 C Monitor
June 12, 2011 3:01:57 PM

I don't think you'll find an S-IPS or H-IPS monitor in that price range - you might be able to get an E-IPS monitor in that price range, but I don't see one listed on either of the pdfs you linked. To get an LED backlight without a blue tinge, you'd need to find an RGB LED backlight, and that would cost at least 5 times your listed budget.

My suggestion based on those lists would be the LG W2442PA. However, if you're intent on buying locally, I think you'd be better off visiting the stores and seeing which monitor looks best, especially if you can ask the store employees to run the monitors through something like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and compare their results side by side.

Since those sites don't provide online pictures and specifications for any of their items, choosing a monitor to suggest from among those offered was difficult, and I'm not even going to try to suggest a keyboard - there again, you're better off trying them in store (if they'll let you)
June 12, 2011 5:05:25 PM

To clarify, I didn't really mean that I wants an S-IPS or H-IPS, I was just saying that I wouldn't say no to one if it was in that price range, although I appear to have taken it to the point where you thought I wanted one rather than say, the much much more common TN, so my bad.

And with the testing of both monitors and keyboards well, as you say; it's whether they let me.

EDIT: Also, I can find plenty of information on the LG W2442PA-BF, but not on the LG W2442PA-PF, which is the one listed. Any help?
a b 4 Gaming
a c 78 C Monitor
June 13, 2011 3:42:41 AM

steamsaint said:
To clarify, I didn't really mean that I wants an S-IPS or H-IPS, I was just saying that I wouldn't say no to one if it was in that price range, although I appear to have taken it to the point where you thought I wanted one rather than say, the much much more common TN, so my bad.

And with the testing of both monitors and keyboards well, as you say; it's whether they let me.

EDIT: Also, I can find plenty of information on the LG W2442PA-BF, but not on the LG W2442PA-PF, which is the one listed. Any help?

As far as the S-IPS and H-IPS, I just thought you were overestimating the probability of finding one in your price range.

The difference between the LG W2442PA-BF and W2442PA-SF is the housing color (-BF is black, -SF is silver). I think the -PF is either one of the others mis-labeled or just another housing color (pink?). However, I see it shown with black housing here: http://www.saverstore.com/product/20028254/LG-W2442PA-P... and with silver housing here: http://en.kioskea.net/guide/1201598-lg-w2442pa-pf-silve..., so I'm not sure which has that correct, but the functionality should be identical to the LG W2442PA-BF and W2442PA-SF.
!