Packard Bell iPower

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a iPower laptop and a cup of coffee got poured in it a few days
ago. The keyboard has stopped working – though the mouse works fine
and it all boots OK. Does anyone have any ideas about how to open the
case so i can clean it – I have removed all the screws but it feels as
though the DVD drive should be coming out first – but I can't find how
to do this. The case opens slightly and then won't go any further – I
have tried the PB site and it's slightly less useful than a chocolate
tea pot.

Many thanks

James

I have a short story
About ten years ago or so
I took a new job because benefits were becoming important to me
more than just the pay

In my place of employment we had 2 work stations

The technician that was workin under me liked to eat while she worked
She also liked to drink Pepsi

I never ever drank any beverage at my workstation or work area
She did not work by my standards

She poured her Pepsi or it fell over on the keyboard that she was using
It stopped working
Then it started again after it had dried out

At that time IBM keyboards were not a low price item
I told her not to worry as long as it worked
It is beteween you and me and goes no further

She was happy and thanked me
Little did I know

About a month later we had a party
The manager asked me if I would like a coke to go with the cake
I said thank you

She then said please do not ruin the keyboard like you did before
I said who told you that
She said it would not be proper to tell

Proper to tell
I know that person

In any case
I have let my daughther know the same thing
She eats while on the computer

I have taken keyboards apart and cleaned them
It is a 50 50 deal
Works sometimes and sometimes it works not so good
Usually the mylar film with the etching has sugar or some other garbage
attached
They are not made to be repaired

Well my daughter closes her door and still does what she
wants
Daddy can I borrow your keyboard is a sure fire warning

Here is my remedy that I got from my brother
I happen to have 3 gallons of 91% Isopropyly Alcohol

I take the whole Keyboard and place it in a tank of 91%
I let it sit

I then take or out after the Alcohol has changed with the yuk attached
I let it dry for a few days
The keyboard works again

Now I know that your keyboard is attached to the computer
That presents a problem

Soak the whole unit
I do not advise on such an expensive item

Would it hurt the unit
Probably not

You can also add an external keyboard if you have a USB bus

You need to get the keyboard out
If you do
Keep as much intact as possible
Then soak that unit only

Now Ben
he may have another idea

I just have stories

As far as the technician I worked with
I should have fired her ass then

She only came back to bite me later
That is another story

"James" <jameshartley7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a iPower laptop and a cup of coffee got poured in it a few days
> ago. The keyboard has stopped working - though the mouse works fine
> and it all boots OK. Does anyone have any ideas about how to open the
> case so i can clean it - I have removed all the screws but it feels as
> though the DVD drive should be coming out first - but I can't find how
> to do this. The case opens slightly and then won't go any further - I
> have tried the PB site and it's slightly less useful than a chocolate
> tea pot.
>
> Many thanks
>
> James

TRENDING THREADS