$750 and Performance?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I am going to college this fall and will be needing a laptop. I will also be bringing my desktop so I def. do not need a desktop replacement, but I want to get the most for my money. :D

1_What is your budget?
$750. no more. less is welcome, though.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I would prefer 13-15" range.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
nothing in particular

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, with performance.

5_How much battery life do you need?
4 hours would be good. But as much as possible, obviously.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Games like SCII, D3, Portal (2), and others like that. Medium-High settings preferred.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Basic things aside from those games, since it's for college. Email, Office, some Movies..

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
320 should be fine.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg has been my main resource.. but others are welcome.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years at least

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
whatever..

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
nothing in particular.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Since my budget is 750, I was wondering if I should wait until around August when there are sales and other awesome deals. I do not go to college until Sept. so there really is not a rush. I would prefer a dedicated gpu.

Thank you soo much for all feedback! :hello:

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Also, I was wondering about anyone's thoughts on refurbished/re-certified systems. I saw the one below on a dif. thread and reviews seem to love it. I have always felt that you should buy tech new but what are your thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220715&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Notebooks-_-ASUS-_-34220715&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Refurbs are good, both your find and necropolis's are good. Battery life on them might be somewhat low though. If you want 4 hours or more, you need either an extra battery or a laptop with less performance. I was looking at the G60vx, I want more of a desktop replacement so I eventually went higher but it should be more than enough performance for the games you listed.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Necopolis, that does look like a solid laptop, however my only concern would be the integrated card. Would that be able to play games on Medium-High settings?

Samurai.. I have to say that the G60vx is sick. Definitely a top contender. The reviews and specs look very very good for the price. I think that the front cover is kinda cheesy, but then again if all I cared about were looks then i would be getting a Mac (/snicker).

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Sony Vaio EB series. It has a fast processor, 500 GB hard drive space, and up to 8 GB RAM. You can upgrade it so that it has ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 540 Graphics for your gaming needs. The Sony starts at $649 so it is within your price range.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

necropolis

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Well that's where a bit of the problem lies, I am not so sure but by the specs it will prolly run old guys at high and later ones at low-medium. As for the G51 I both a G51J 3D and I can say it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.