• Video
  • Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 12, 2011 5:38:34 PM

Hello,
Looking for a 24 or 25 inch LED Flat Panel monitor for movies, videos, TV and gaming. Need to know which monitor specs I need for quality viewing. Would also like to know any recommendations you may have for a good monitor. Can anyone help me to learn about this please?
Artie

More about : monitor movies videos gaming

June 12, 2011 6:06:02 PM

OK, Media moreso than Games. Budget....Hmmmm: preferably not more than $350.00. Of course would prefer less. Have been looking originally in the $200.00 to $300.00 range. Specs and suggestions would be most appreciated!!
Artie
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
a c 196 C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2011 6:06:31 PM

LCD monitors with LED backlight can have a bluish hue since the LED (a.k.a WLED) used are blue LEDs with a yellowish phosphorous coating to imitate white.

Additionally, all LED backlit monitors (in the consumer level) are edge lit instead of having a full backlit array like CCFL (florescent) backlit. This can lead to color bleeding issues where the colors at the edge of the monitor are darker than in the center. It doesn't always happen, but it is more prone to occur just because how edge lit backlighting works.

All LED backlight monitors use either TN panel or e-IPS technologies. e-IPS is generally better due to wider viewing angles and less color shifting. However, both panels are 6-bit color panels. This means only 64 shades of each primary (Red, Green, Blue) can be created. This works out to about 256k actual colors. Thru a process called Temporal Dithering (frequently known as A-FRC or Advanced Frame Rate Control) which can blend up to 16m or so colors. This can lead to image artifacts if you know what to look for and possible color banding issues where there fine gradients of colors.
m
l
June 12, 2011 6:23:12 PM

So, are you suggesting that a LCD would be better?

jaguarskx said:
LCD monitors with LED backlight can have a bluish hue since the LED (a.k.a WLED) used are blue LEDs with a yellowish phosphorous coating to imitate white.

Additionally, all LED backlit monitors (in the consumer level) are edge lit instead of having a full backlit array like CCFL (florescent) backlit. This can lead to color bleeding issues where the colors at the edge of the monitor are darker than in the center. It doesn't always happen, but it is more prone to occur just because how edge lit backlighting works.

All LED backlight monitors use either TN panel or e-IPS technologies. e-IPS is generally better due to wider viewing angles and less color shifting. However, both panels are 6-bit color panels. This means only 64 shades of each primary (Red, Green, Blue) can be created. This works out to about 256k actual colors. Thru a process called Temporal Dithering (frequently known as A-FRC or Advanced Frame Rate Control) which can blend up to 16m or so colors. This can lead to image artifacts if you know what to look for and possible color banding issues where there fine gradients of colors.

m
l
June 12, 2011 6:26:24 PM

So, are you suggesting that an LCD would be better?
m
l
a b x TV
a c 196 C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2011 6:36:40 PM

An e-IPS panel monitor would be better for videos than a TN panel monitor. It will also be good for games too, but TN panels are generally considered better for games.

$350 is a bit low for a 24" or large monitor with any type of IPS panel and LED backlight.

My recommendation is the 23" Dell U2311h, it does not have LED backlight, but I consider that a good thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2311H-Widescreen...

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

If you want an e-IPS panel with LED backlight then consider the 23" LG IPS231P-BN

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a review in German so you will need to use Google's Language tools to translate it.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-lg-ips23...
m
l
June 12, 2011 6:43:35 PM

Or should I look for an LED with e-IPS technology?
m
l
June 12, 2011 6:45:22 PM

Thanks so much for all the info!! You've been a tremendous help!! If I need anything else, I'll post!!
m
l
a b x TV
a c 196 C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2011 6:48:50 PM

Ultimately the choice is yours. I prefer a monitor with traditional CCFL backlight unless I am shooting for a professional level monitor with something called RGB-LED backlight, but they generally start at about $2,500.

Read through the resources I provided you. They will provide you with a lot of information. It may turn out that you don't want the Dell or the LG monitor that I recommended.

Like I said, ultimately you need to decide what is best for you.
m
l
!