Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent freeze at "Starting WIndows"

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 2, 2012 4:57:03 PM

Hi,

Intermittently, I have a problem where the boot up sequence freezes at the Starting Windows logo/screen. I then have to restart the PC, and the only way to get a clean start-up is if I go into the BIOS, and Save Changes and Reset (even if I don't make any changes). The PC might work then for another 1 or 20 boots before the problem recurs again. If I don't go into the BIOS and Save/Reset then it simply refreezes each time.

Have launched start-up repair but it always says it can't repair anything.

Have spoken many times with the retailer and changed a few overclock settings / voltages etc. etc. but no lasting improvement.

Anyone any idea what could be causing such an intermittent fault - and one cured for the next restart by entering/exiting the BIOS?

Specs are:

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.8GHz
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB
120GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy SE PCI
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2012 5:06:30 PM

How old is it? You may need to replace the CMOS battery on the mobo.
Your 4.8GHz OC may simply not be stable. Take it back down to 4.4GHz and see how it does.
What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU?
m
l
December 2, 2012 5:16:12 PM

I agree with Onus, your OC is very high and is the most likely cause. Set it to stock speeds for a while and see if you still have problems.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 5:57:16 PM

The PC is 12 months old. The PSU is a Corsair 650watt I believe.

Have tried before lowering the overclock (currently at 4.6Ghz down to 4.5Ghz, but no difference. Very hesitant to reduce further since this is why I bought from this company i.e. a ready over-clocked (theoretically stable) PC.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2012 6:01:37 PM

The PSU should be solid. I'd replace the CMOS battery. They're cheap and easy to find.
Also, test your RAM, one stick at a time, using MEMTEST86.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2012 6:41:53 PM

make sure your mb bios is up to date. if you have older 800 bios dont just to the last bios. do them in order. check in the bios that you have asus bios set to standard and xmp turned on for the ram. on asus over clock it can change the bus to ram speed from a 1:1 ratio to a 1:5 some ram dont like that and hang. also as your using a sound blaster sound card make sure you turned of on board sound so there no issue. the last isse could be and irq or dma issue where the sound card is. it could be the sound card and video card are trying to use the same irq. try moving the sound to another slot or remove it and see if the hangs stop.
m
l
!