Opteron Q1 '04 Numbers

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
I thought i would post up this link ot a story convering opteron, the link is to the second page of this article and talks about the Q1 shipment numbers halfway down the page:

<A HREF="http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=SPMYADVXPJBDCQSNDBCCKHY?articleID=21700149&pgno=2" target="_new">http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=SPMYADVXPJBDCQSNDBCCKHY?articleID=21700149&pgno=2</A>

not too shabby for amd, pushing 70,000 opterons in the first quarter, more then they did in the entire year last year, and already close to that 100k number i heard for Itanium a while back lol. yes i know they arent related or competing, just noticing the figure.

signs are good for opteron adoption it seems, so thats good for some competition in the market.

the rest of the article is a good read, some comments about opteron adoption and being chosen over options like itanium. its a start anyway.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
70k is still a very low absolute number. Not surprising perhaps, considering in Q1 you could barely get any opteron system from any of the big oems, the chip isnt even a year old, and there is no windows for it yet. The next quarters will be interesting to watch, so get some popcorn ppl :)

I have to feel sorry for intel though. If opteron had only been released a year, maybe 2 later, Itaniums future would have looked a hell of lot brighter. Similary, if Itanium had been delivered on target, it would have been in the market for 2-4 years longer now, and it could have established the standard by now. But just at the moment it was beginning to gain traction, Opteron comes spoil the party by forcing intel to release EM64T. Thats got to hurt when you poured countless billions into it.

>yes i know they arent related or competing

Of course they are. Their initial/main target markets differ, Itaniums focus is on big tin (PA Risc/Sparc/power/aplha), while opterons focus is clearly Xeon. But when you look at what matters to intel and amd, cpu unit shipment, the overlap that exists in the 2/4 and soon 4+ way and HPC market where they compete head-on is actually much bigger than the markets where they do not compete (1 way and workstation market for opteron, big tin for Itanium). Saying these chips don't compete is nonsense, they do. Their growth potential is for the most part, the exact same market. If intel says it doesn't compete with opteron, that actually means they gave up on those markets already :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
i was talking about the 100k number they sold last year.

anyway, i know the numbers arent awesome, but considering the circumstances, wouldnt you say it was an achievement to outsell the entire year last year in one quarter, before the real adopters had gotten on board to offer systems? at the very least its a good sign of growth.

as far as itanium and opterons competing, i didnt want to get into that since some would say they dont. i believe they can compete, but intel has decded to let xeon fight opterons, even if opterons could exist in itanium's segment and give a much better price/performance ratio.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Read well 10 000 or 10 K not 100 000.Itanium number and server sale will stay flat for Q2 and Q3 until Madison 9m is release.In 2H 2005 that were i expect Itanium to reach high number 1 million chip or more with montecito and 2Gen chipset.Price performance should not exist.

i need to change useur name.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>.In 2H 2005 that were i expect Itanium to reach high number
>1 million chip or more with montecito

LOL I'll buy everyone on this board a beer if Itanium achieves that. Bookmark this thread, i'm serious. That is a TEN fold increase in a little over ONE year. Get real juin.

Its at 100k (cpu's) last year, and finally picking up. Being optimistic, I can believe it might double again this year, so around 200k by the end of 2004, and being *very* optimistic, it may pull off that stunt *again* if it manages to replace just about every PA Risc, MIPS and Alpha sale without being handicapped by Xeon64/opteron to achieve around 400k in 2005 (so reported in Q1 2006). I will be the first to bow in respect if intel pulls that off, and it would even almost allow them operational profitability on a yearly basis (not a chance of recovering the $7 billion by then though). But that is where it likely ends, 500k is about the ceiling, the market just aint much bigger than that unless they can tackle workstation, entrylevel server or other unexplored markets. Or unless IBM and Sun dump Power and Sparc as well as AMD64 and standardize on IPF which just aint gonna happen. And after 2006/2007, if anything the overall risc market will continue to shrink further, and further, especially cpu counts as cpu's get so powerfull you'll only need a few for anything but HPC, and Itanium may have had its all time height. 1 million ? *very* unlikely. next year ? Ridiculous.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Precision 1 million montecito chip in is first year.Itanium number for Q1 seen to have reach about 50 000 and as it growing is may reach 250 000 units for 2004.

AMD64 change nothing for IA-64 or Power.

i need to change useur name.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
you can try to deny it all you want, but the fact is AMD64 did affect IA-64, there are stories floating around of actaul adopters of itaniums that decided to switch because of that price/performance you said didnt exist, it does lol.

AMD64 wont neccisarily compete against itanium as it moves into the higher end, but it did affect intel's plan. if you dont think it did at all, i just cant understand that lol

i also have doubts about 1 million units sold by 2005, id say more like 500k

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>AMD64 change nothing for IA-64 or Power.

ROFL, you wish ! Of course, AMD64 is not eating IPF's non existant marketshare, but it sure as hell is *severely* limiting its potential.

Have a look at the graph here:<A HREF="http://www.dqindia.com/content/top_stories/102041601.asp " target="_new">http:// http://www.dqindia.com/content/top_stories/102041601.asp </A> and try not to die laughing. Does anyone seriously still expect Itanium to outsell x86 servers 10-1 by 2010 ? ROFL ! If Itanium is not outsold 10-1 by x86 instead, I will consider it a job extremely well done by Intel.

That is a 2002 article btw, so just before the opteron launch. Are you claiming either that graph still looks anywhere near credible, or that AMD64/EM64T has not played any role in its obselesence ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by P4Man on 06/18/04 03:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS