Your question

Reopen files automatically after logoff or restart

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 16, 2010 1:28:54 AM

Hello,
Is there a program that will remember files and folders I had open when I logoff and then reopen them when I log back in?

More about : reopen files automatically logoff restart

a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 16, 2010 2:45:14 AM

The easiest way to do that is to use "Sleep" instead of "Shutdown".
m
l
April 16, 2010 6:02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I was thinking more along the lines of having to do a restart after a crash or a windows update. I normally don't shutdown or restart unless I am forced to, I just lock the computer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 16, 2010 10:44:20 PM

OK, aside from Explorer, I don't know of a way to have the applications restart automatically with the same documents that were open at shutdown.

Anyone else?
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:59:06 AM

what sort of programs are you losing?

there are certain programs that will remember what you've been doing within them (opera web browser, openoffice) but i don't think an independent program can save that info to re-launch programs when you log in.
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:39:29 PM

I haven't encountered something that does what you want either. You may instead use the recently opened documents for the recent files you've accessed but it is quite limited.
m
l
April 20, 2010 4:33:44 PM

Thanks for the responses, I knew it was a long shot when I asked, but you never know what's out there. What I normally run up agaist is having 3 or 4 pdfs open, several spreadsheets, docs, .txts and other misc. folders open. I was hoping that there was a program that would remember everything I had open at the moment of logoff or restart so I wouldn't have to write eveything down to remember what I had open.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 6:27:03 PM

Try using the program Cache my work.
http://cachemywork.codeplex.com/

It is free and it may suit yours need ;) 
Cheers!
m
l
!