Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Monitors

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 13, 2011 6:45:23 PM

First of all, what the heck is going on with monitors in gaming? I thought 1920X1200 was going to be the new standard replacing 1050, but apparently there are almost no 1200 monitors out there and the ones that are don't seem to be targeting gamers.

Secondly, I can't find ANY current monitor comparisons for gamer monitors- they are either 5 years old or based on multimedia usage.

/end rant

So my questions are the following:

1. Is 1920X1080 honestly the new standard for pc gaming? Is this the res. devs are designing their games for these days?(personally whenever I see "full true HD! 1080p" I just want to punch someone.)

2. Which companies are staying truest to the pc gaming market? (ViewSonic was good when I bought my last gamer pc)

3. What monitor(s) are you using for gaming atm, and why did you choose it?

Thanks in advance

More about : gaming monitors

a b 4 Gaming
a c 76 C Monitor
June 13, 2011 10:10:41 PM

I think devs are designing games so that they can run as low as 1024x768 (so that users with older monitors and/or weaker graphics cards can still play the game, albeit with reduced quality options) and as high as supported by the graphics card(s) and monitor(s).

I haven't paid much attention to which brands are specifically trying to cater to gamers, rather than to graphics professionals.

I game on a Gateway XHD3000, which I chose for the resolution (2560x1600) and the extra inputs (hdmi, component, composite in addition to dvi) so I could connect my consoles directly to the monitor.
m
l
June 14, 2011 6:45:24 AM

After some looking around I'm thinking that Asus has what I'm looking for as for as gaming support.

They offer different modes for gaming, movies ect. and 2ms response times almost all of their monitors.

I think I'm going to go for the VW266H as it has 1920X1200 res. with built in 16:9 ratio fixing.

Thanks for the replies.
m
l
!