Different file associations per user account

September 20, 2005 12:04:03 PM

Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account? The reason
is that I need to open mp3s with SonicStage for transferring to my Minidisc,
but my sister needs to use Windows Media Player for her flash-based player,
and it's a real pain to have to Right click--> Open With every time. Can
anyone help? (even if it involves running a script of some kind on startup)
September 20, 2005 5:12:08 PM

Mr_Cynical wrote:
> Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
> open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account? The reason
> is that I need to open mp3s with SonicStage for transferring to my Minidisc,
> but my sister needs to use Windows Media Player for her flash-based player,
> and it's a real pain to have to Right click--> Open With every time. Can
> anyone help? (even if it involves running a script of some kind on startup)

You can make SonicStage as default player for mp3 files.
I don't have SonicStage, don't know how to config that.
But in Windows Media Player,
You can click Tools->Options->File Types
uncheck mp3, click Apply, OK buttons.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:55:11 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:04:03 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Mr_Cynical favored us with...
> Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
> open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account?

I'm upwards of 90% certain that the answer is No. The file
associations are stored in Registry keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
and there's only one of those per machine.

I'm not aware of any Registry keys that override file associations
for only the current user, but there might be -- hence only
"upwards of 90%" rather than "100%". :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
!