Different file associations per user account

Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account? The reason
is that I need to open mp3s with SonicStage for transferring to my Minidisc,
but my sister needs to use Windows Media Player for her flash-based player,
and it's a real pain to have to Right click--> Open With every time. Can
anyone help? (even if it involves running a script of some kind on startup)
2 answers Last reply
More about different file associations user account

    Mr_Cynical wrote:
    > Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
    > open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account? The reason
    > is that I need to open mp3s with SonicStage for transferring to my Minidisc,
    > but my sister needs to use Windows Media Player for her flash-based player,
    > and it's a real pain to have to Right click--> Open With every time. Can
    > anyone help? (even if it involves running a script of some kind on startup)

    You can make SonicStage as default player for mp3 files.
    I don't have SonicStage, don't know how to config that.
    But in Windows Media Player,
    You can click Tools->Options->File Types
    uncheck mp3, click Apply, OK buttons.

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:04:03 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Mr_Cynical favored us with...
    > Is it possible to have different file associations (ie default program to
    > open a particular filetype with) for each XP (Home) user account?

    I'm upwards of 90% certain that the answer is No. The file
    associations are stored in Registry keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
    and there's only one of those per machine.

    I'm not aware of any Registry keys that override file associations
    for only the current user, but there might be -- hence only
    "upwards of 90%" rather than "100%". :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Internet Explorer Windows XP