Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motorola
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2004 4:33:21 PM

Why only AMD and Intel are the makers of PC processors?

Isn't Motorola making processors for Apple?

Why can't Motorola bring processors to PC's?

<A HREF="http://www.clan-chaos.com" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

More about : amd intel

June 17, 2004 5:14:21 PM

It's completly different architecture, you need a completly new design. And by the way, VIA and Transmeta are making x86 CPU too. but they don't make x86 processors for the mass market, they build CPU for niche market segments.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.
June 17, 2004 5:24:35 PM

Transmeta doesn't make x86 processors... they make x86 <b>compatible</b> processors. The Curosoe line is actually VLIW-based and runs x86 code through software emulation. As a result, performance suffers and that's why Transmeta's processors haven't gained widespread acceptance.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Related resources
June 17, 2004 5:26:21 PM

You are right about Transmeta, I didn't mention this. I just wanted to tell the original poster that other company makes x86 or x86 compatible CPU.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.
June 17, 2004 5:59:22 PM

Aside from what other have pointed out, one of the main reasons id entry barriers. Its hugely expensive to develop a competitive x86 cpu; hundreds of millions, if not billions are involved. it basically requires having your own state of the art fab(s) as well, which costs a few billion by itselve.

In the past, many companies have tried; centaur, cyrix, UMC, AMD, even IBM. competition and huge r&d costs made that none except AMD survived, and what remained of centaur and cyrix got purchased by VIA. Recently, only Transmeta tried with a radical different approach, but unfortunately, I doubt they will be with us at the end of the decade.

Other attempts have been made to replace the desktop hegemony of x86. There have been (windows supported) PowerPC systems, Alpha's, even MIPS "desktops", but none ever made a splash. Backwards compatibility and software availablitity where just too important. Only Apple sort of kept lingering around in its own (shrinking) niche.

As it is, I don't see anything replacing x86 for the next 10-15 years. After that, maybe power or cell, maybe not. I don't see any company with the resources and the will to bring out an x86 chip besides Intel, AMD or VIA either. Maybe IBM could, but they got burnt trying before, so I don't think they will again. They gave up on the desktop market long time ago. Well thinking about, there might be one other candidate: microsoft.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
June 17, 2004 7:15:08 PM

yeah wouldnt that be interesting, a microsoft cpu lol, just thinking about that gives me chills lol
June 17, 2004 8:57:53 PM

i dont think microsoft would bring out a cpu, its real hard to make a thousand hotfixes for a cpu lol
June 17, 2004 11:12:08 PM

>yeah wouldnt that be interesting, a microsoft cpu lol, just
>thinking about that gives me chills lol

Get ready for it. xbox2 will feature a "microsoft" processor, even if its based on IBM's Power and ATI's chipset/GPU technology.

I don't think you want to know what xbox3 will look like, but I'm pretty sure it will run all the (sort of) software we now run on our PC's, and it will be "MS Inside", Palladium enabled with software subscribtion . Hardware may well be free. I've seen the future and playing music, watching tv or sending email involves paying royalties to MS...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
June 17, 2004 11:54:37 PM

how is that the future? xbox owners already do that and dont realize it. hehe
June 18, 2004 3:56:47 AM

lol well true, but then microsoft would just be comapred to apple, using other manufacturer's parts under thier name, and im sure they dont want to be compared to apple lol.

it is possible palladium could come to xbox, although i could put up with that if it was only on the xbox console, i dont need to fool with the hardware as much as i would my pc.
!