Can't telnet to port 25

We have a server that has IIS 6 SMTP virtual server (serverA,
10.53.24.41) installed. We have allowed every machine on the LAN
(10.53.24.0/24) to be able to access it and relay messages through it.

On a few servers (w2k and w2k3), I was able to telnet to port 25 of
serverA...

220 serverA.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
6.0.3790.1830 ready at
0

On a couple of other servers and on my workstation (wxp), I'm not able
to telnet to port 25...

Connecting To serverA...Could not open connection to the host, on port
25: Co
nnect failed

I've tried both IP address, FQDN, netbios name, etc.

Firewall, etc. are not turned ON on my workstation and the servers.

Anyone know why???? How do I find out on my machine why/how port 25
outbound is blocked (if it is)???
3 answers Last reply
More about telnet port

    On Tuesday 20 September 2005 08:13 am, Calvin.Lai@shaw.ca had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > We have a server that has IIS 6 SMTP virtual server (serverA,
    > 10.53.24.41) installed. We have allowed every machine on the LAN
    > (10.53.24.0/24) to be able to access it and relay messages through it.
    >
    > On a few servers (w2k and w2k3), I was able to telnet to port 25 of
    > serverA...
    >
    > 220 serverA.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
    > 6.0.3790.1830 ready at
    > 0
    >
    > On a couple of other servers and on my workstation (wxp), I'm not able
    > to telnet to port 25...
    >
    > Connecting To serverA...Could not open connection to the host, on port
    > 25: Co
    > nnect failed
    >
    > I've tried both IP address, FQDN, netbios name, etc.
    >
    > Firewall, etc. are not turned ON on my workstation and the servers.
    >
    > Anyone know why???? How do I find out on my machine why/how port 25
    > outbound is blocked (if it is)???

    Don't know what you mean by "etc"? I've seen anti-virus software block that
    type of connection.

    --
    Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run E17

    Do you have mcafee 8.0?If then it blocks that port.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Calvin.Lai@shaw.ca wrote:

    > We have a server that has IIS 6 SMTP virtual server (serverA,
    > 10.53.24.41) installed. We have allowed every machine on the LAN
    > (10.53.24.0/24) to be able to access it and relay messages through it.
    >
    > On a few servers (w2k and w2k3), I was able to telnet to port 25 of
    > serverA...
    >
    > 220 serverA.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
    > 6.0.3790.1830 ready at
    > 0
    >
    > On a couple of other servers and on my workstation (wxp), I'm not able
    > to telnet to port 25...
    >
    > Connecting To serverA...Could not open connection to the host, on port
    > 25: Co
    > nnect failed
    >
    > I've tried both IP address, FQDN, netbios name, etc.
    >
    > Firewall, etc. are not turned ON on my workstation and the servers.
    >
    > Anyone know why???? How do I find out on my machine why/how port 25
    > outbound is blocked (if it is)???

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in news:edypC3fvFHA.1988
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    As does most AV that protects against mail-worms.

    > Do you have mcafee 8.0?If then it blocks that port.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Calvin.Lai@shaw.ca wrote:
    >
    >> We have a server that has IIS 6 SMTP virtual server (serverA,
    >> 10.53.24.41) installed. We have allowed every machine on the LAN
    >> (10.53.24.0/24) to be able to access it and relay messages through it.
    >>
    >> On a few servers (w2k and w2k3), I was able to telnet to port 25 of
    >> serverA...
    >>
    >> 220 serverA.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
    >> 6.0.3790.1830 ready at
    >> 0
    >>
    >> On a couple of other servers and on my workstation (wxp), I'm not able
    >> to telnet to port 25...
    >>
    >> Connecting To serverA...Could not open connection to the host, on port
    >> 25: Co
    >> nnect failed
    >>
    >> I've tried both IP address, FQDN, netbios name, etc.
    >>
    >> Firewall, etc. are not turned ON on my workstation and the servers.
    >>
    >> Anyone know why???? How do I find out on my machine why/how port 25
    >> outbound is blocked (if it is)???

Microsoft Telnet Servers Windows XP